Expand my Community achievements bar.

Tab Order is set correctly, but does does not work when previewing

Former Community Member
I am currently designing a form in Adobe Life cycle 8.0. I set the tab order and everything looks good, but when I go to preview it in Acrobat 8.0 or Life cycle 8.0 it misses those tabs. Is there a fix?

Thanks alot,

Inge
56 Replies

Former Community Member
To : Ryan Anderson - 3:54pm Aug 1, 07 PST (#17 of 20). Not Sutton.

To: All. I appears there are several ways to get Tab Order corrected. Is there anyone out there to create a checklist of successful methods from Postings and Submit for all? I am buried in a project for now or I would.

Former Community Member
ok i think i might have figured it out. i've tried this process about 5x so far and it has worked every time. Please keep in mind this took me about 4 days to figure out :) So, change your tab order to the order that you want (go to view, tab order, then click on the fields in the order that u want). even if it's not working in "preview pdf" view, just still make sure all the #'s are in order. save the file and completely close out of adobe. open the file again, go to advanced, enable usage rights in adobe reader, then save over the existing file (just replace). again, completely close out of the file. open again and go to "preview pdf" view, check the tabs. at this point they should be in the correct order without you having to do anything. save immediately at this point. and you're all set!! I'm really sorry if this doesn't work for you...but it has been working for me so i thought i'd share since all of us have been so frustrated with this system. GOOD LUCK!!

Former Community Member
OK I got it... hold the shift key to make your first field number 1. While holding the shift key click on the next field in order etc... just keep clicking. When you are done it will be in the reverse order... just repeat the provess beginning with the last field and work your way backwards.

Good Luck

Former Community Member
Hi All,

Last night as I drove home I was contemplating this tabbing issue. I had a brainstorm and went home and tested it out. Low and behold it solved my problem with Tab order.

The form I have built from scratch using LiveCycle Designer 8.05 has numerous subforms. I have arranged the hierarchy by page placement as suggested earlier in this thread.

Where I was having a problem with the tab settings was within a flowing subform with two columns of text fields placed on the same line of the subform.

I wanted to set the tabs to flow down the first column then begin at the top of the second column and flow down the second column.

I expanded the original subform from the hierarchy tree and selected the fields of the second column. I wrapped those textfields into a new subform and adjusted the size of my original subform and my new subform. I moved from the hierarchy tree the fields for the second column into the new subform.

I reset the tabs and verified they were set as I wanted. Saved the form in LCD. Opened the form in Adobe Professional 8.1.0 to Enable User Rights. Saved the form and closed out the form. Reopened the form and the tabbing worked.

I hope this sheds some light on others issues as well!

Make it a great day!

Pam

Former Community Member
post number 22 by Felicity Curran works Perfectly!

thanks! it saved me from more hours of frustration!!

Former Community Member
Post #22 by Felicity also worked for me! Thanks!!!!!!!!

Paula Flores

Former Community Member
I created a nifty step by step of Felicity Curran's solution with a few additional comments. We ALL love Felicity.

Is there anyway to post a file in this forum?

Former Community Member
Felicity's fix doesn't work for me (at least with my current misbehaving document). Does anyone know how to write a script to write Traversal tags based on the Heirachy?

Former Community Member
I am preping Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional patched to 8.1.0 for deployment purposes. On testing the Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8 i.e. creating a form, the following error appears when it tries to open acrobat reader:

"Cannot use Adobe Reader to view PDF in your webbrowser, Reader will now exit. Please exit your browser and try again"

Any ideas please

Former Community Member
I worked on a form that has check boxes, drop downs and regular text fields. I did everything I read about with hierachy, removing <traversal> tags and nothing seemed to change the order. I did notice after removing the traversal the tab order numbers did not have any background color until I clicked on them...that was new. I then did what someone suggested and that was to create a very mixed up order for the tabs....something different than a normal order. I did that by starting in the middle of the document with 1 and then going up to the first and making it 2 then down to the bottom with 3 etc.. I also did something different and that was to save before I clicked on view and the tab item. After a save I THEN click on view and tab and then saved again...not sure that did anything. But to my amazement the order stayed as crazy as I made it. I then went in and made it all in the right order and did the same save and then save again and it stuck!! I even had to go back and add a field later in the middle of the form which naturally required re-doing the tabs and they worked. I think it likes to be totally scrambled before you can make it right...a very strange bug. I have another form to do and will not remove any <traversal> tags or change the hierachy and see if my theory works. WOW does Adobe have a problem with this code. For 508 compliancy the tabs have to work.

Former Community Member
Hello everyone, I tried pretty much everything that everyone said and I think it comes down to unique names for your fields. If you have a field with the same name (in Hierarchy), LCD just seems to name it with a [xx] after it. I found that nothing worked until after I renamed all my fields nicely.

Once I did this all I had to do was re-set my order using the reverse click method by Dina Ciccone and it worked perfectly first time.

Does that work for anyone else?

Thanks,

Tim

Former Community Member
Felicity: Thanks so much for your "4 days of figuring" on the Tab Order issue (#22 or 32). I've been wrestling with this problem for 4 days and happened upon your solution. It worked on the 1st form I tried. I was so happy with the results I joined the user's forum!

Former Community Member
I think the process for getting the tabs to work goes like this as Felicity figured out, thank God!

I just did 4 forms that where created from word docs.

1-create a pdf from word file using the standard create pdf.

2-In Acrobat 8 select forms, create new form using the current document.

3-I let Acrobat automatically scan the document and create the form elements. I then go in and tweak and modify. I make sure each element has it's own unique name. (Use Hierarchy to move elements around and to group check boxes etc.) I did not put items is any specific order.

4-Here is the important part. Save the document and then in Acrobat, not LiveCycle Designer, Click on "Advanced" and select "Enable Usage Rights in Acrobat Reader" Save the document using the same name and let it write over the file. Now go to Forms, Edit Form in Designer, and it will give you a warning dialogue box asking you to Save a Copy. Save a Copy and make the name different from the original.

NOW you will close the current document and open this Saved Copy.

Click on Forms, Edit Form in Designer and it will open in Designer without giving you any warning. Set your Tabs like normal going to view, Tab Order etc..

They will stay in the order you set them in.

Conclusion is that one you save the document with Enable Usage Rights in Acrobat Reader, the document will function properly.

I did this with 4 documents not doing anything else that was special and it worked each time.

Adobe needs to fix this in the next update. Either that or we have all missed some sort of option setting in the Designer tool.

Cheers

Former Community Member
I also discovered something else about Acrobat 8. Open a new pdf that was created from Word or anywhere else. Click on Forms, Run Form Field Recongnition. It will set up form fields but then when you go to edit the form it only gives you the choice of "Edit Form in Acrobat". This is the old way to edit a form, not the sometimes confusing Designer editor.

This is great if you have been editing pdfs using version 6 and are versed in all the tips and tricks.

Cheers

Former Community Member
Does anyone know how to remove a field from the tabbing process altogether? I have two global form fields that need to be bypassed.

Thanks in advance.

Former Community Member
Terry, in the Enter event of the field, I added a setFocus script to the next field you want to type in, therein bypassing the field altogether. Hopes this works for you.

Former Community Member
Ran into same glitch with the tab order. Be sure to have hierarchy properly set, as well as set the tab order as described in the program help section. Then, once that is all correctly set, perform File/Save As, and rename the file. Only then did the tab order remain in tact.

Former Community Member
Ran into the same messed-up tabbing issue. My form had three pages, with a lot of checkboxes, dropdown lists, and text fields (130+/page). Even before running into this thread, I had already tried some of the gimmicks (like scrambling the tab and doing it all over again). By the way, I had only one page with the problem. In any case, here's what I did: I opened my form in Adobe reader and did the Enable Usage Rights thing. Saved it and opened it again. Tried Edit Form in Designer, but it asked me to save a copy first, so I did that. None of this made any difference yet, but don't know if it had any bearing on the final result. Went into view for PDF Structure, then view Hierarchy. Also did a View Tab Order and verified it was still in the proper order. Changed nothing at all (too many fields to even try). I just clicked on some fields on the Structure view to see where they were on the form. Did a PDF Preview, and voila, the tabbing order was working ok now. Since I had changed nothing, I simply closed Designer, and opened the document in Reader. To my surprise, the tabbing was still misbehaving. I opened it in Designer again, checked the tabbing in Preview, and it was ok, so I did a Save As (same name, I guess I could have just done a Save), closed Designer and opened it on Reader. This time the tabbing was ok.

I'm not quite sure what did the trick, but the impression I get is that the simple act of looking at the Hierarchy or the Structure (or both) in Designer, and saving the form (despite the fact that no changes were made) caused the tab order to behave as it should.

Sorry for the long diatribe, but if it does the trick for you, it's worth the read.

Former Community Member
I'm having this problem, too. So far, none of the suggestions here has worked to fix it, but I figure one more case's worth of details might be helpful to someone, somewhere.

I'm working in Acrobat Pro 8.1.1 and LiveCycle 8.05etc on a PC running Windows 98. The original layout was created in InDesign 5.0.1 and PDF'ed, then the form fields and checkboxes were added in Acrobat. My form has 51 fields and checkboxes. The current version's fields and boxes were created in the order in which they need to tab (at one point, I thought that some sort of order might carry over from Acrobat's construction and made sure of this). I used the "create form" option in Acrobat to make a PDF-artwork form to edit in LiveCycle. In LiveCycle, because the automatic tab order bore little relation to the one I need, I used "Set Tab Order" to change it.

The tab order view shows the numbers in the right places, and -most- of the tabs do change their order. After the 39th item, though, the tab leaps over two short columns' worth of fields and boxes, to the -second- item in that column, then the third and fourth, jumps to a nearby field, then comes back for the first one. It jumps to the right and does another column of checkboxes correctly, but finishes up with a column of fields in -reverse- order.

So far, I've tried mixing up the tab order, then going back to the right one. I've saved-as; I've saved a copy. I've enabled user rights in Acrobat, saved, closed, reopened, etc. (the Felicity method). I've examined the traverse parts of the XML to see whether they point to the correct next item (they do). I've checked the hierarchy to see if the fields are in the right order (they are). I've checked the structure to see whether everything is tagged (only one was missing), and in the right order (it is). The only oddities I found were the one untagged field and a couple of fields out of order in the XML. The untagged field was in the messed-up-tab area (though not the first item that goes wrong), but the XML swap wasn't.

In desperation, I even opened up the PDF file in Notepad and searched for all appearances of the field labels in the problem section. They appear in the correct order -in all places- and the traverses point where they're supposed to.

Could this be a problem with rendering?

Could we all be using some restricted word as a field label, and giving Reader hiccups every time it tries to follow the file? (I don't see how, since the labels are wrapped in " " and ought to be treated as strings.)

For the record, my tab order falls apart between two checkboxes, which are labeled (in the order I need) "both" and "format." As is (as is broken!) it goes from "both" to "animation," skipping nine places. These are also check boxes, and the skipped items are a mix of both.

I think that's everything. I'm off to copy and paste all this into a "please help me" e-mail to Adobe. Wish me luck, and hope for an update...

Thanks,

Kathy Ryan

Former Community Member
I wrote and article on how to fix the problem out on this forum. It was actually taking what someone else discovered and I hope made it easy to follow.

You basically have to save the document after you go into Acrobat and select Advanced and then click on Enable usage rights in Acrobat Reader. Then take that saved PDF and work your tab settings. Then it will stay as you set them.

Adobe has a big problem with this and as yet have not fixed this bug. But this works. Apparently adding that attribute to the document allows it to keep the tab settings correct.

Hope that helps

William "Bill" Patterson

Web Developer

Specialized Technology Services

Information Technology Services

California State University, East Bay

William.Patterson@csueastbay.edu

Direct Line: (510) 885-2737