Expand my Community achievements bar.

Submit button - setting to XDP - how do I save the PDF now?

Former Community Member
Hello All,

I am getting confused (once again) with all the documentation.

In Adobe Designer, I changed the submit button format to XDP and to include Annotation, Digital Signature and PDF. How do I save the file now as a PDF? Within the Form Server documentation, it looks like I can only save as PDF file if the Submit button format is set to PDF since setting it to XDP makes the content type text/XML. I do have a digital signature, so I definitely need that preserved, but I also wanted to extract data from 4 fields on the form as well. Earlier, I did have the submit format to PDF, but then I couldn't extract the field data, so I changed the submit format to XDP (and can extract the data), but now I cannot save the file (which I could do earlier).

I thought I read a post on here a while back that someone was able to save the PDF file with submitting to XDP, but now I cannot find it. Is this possible or any suggested way to save both the PDF file and extract data from it. The form is reader extended, which I do manually beforehand since I haven't worked out extended the form programmatically (and from a remote server).

Thank you,

Jennifer
8 Replies

Former Community Member
Save the submitted XDP, you should see sections corresponding to the XML data, the PDF, as well as the annotations. The PDF exists in the XML as binary stream. look for the tag <pdf xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/xdp/pdf/"> and get the PDF object out. <br /><br />With reader extensions, to call it remotely, wrap a web service around the reader extensions API calls. Example is available at http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/livecycle/LCREWeb3.zip .<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />David <br />www.ensemble.com

Former Community Member
Thanks David,

I will take a look at the example and see what I can figure out.

I did eventually read within the forums about the "chunk" portion for the PDF. So, what is everyone using to decode this? I see some freely available code online, but I have no clue how reliable this is and how to know if it is ok to use. ??

I don't think there is anyway I can figure out how to decode it myself anytime soon!

Thanks,

Jennifer

Former Community Member
I think I got it figured out. I searched for base64 within my Adobe folder and found a base64.jar file within the \components\um\common\lib\thirdparty directory.<br /><br />I just used the sample code from the developer guide to parse out the <chunk> element (like I would any other field element) to get the text within the chunk tag.<br /><br />It seems to be working just fine.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Jennifer

Former Community Member
Hi Jennifer,

I'm trying to accomplish the same in Workflow Designer. If you provided more detail on how you extracted the PDF from the XDP or pointed me to related docs, it will be appreciated.

You can contact me directly at: rrrrr55555bbbbb@ YAH00

Regards,

Rabih B.

Former Community Member
Hi Jennifer,

I am doing a similar functionality like yours.

After retreiving the XML would it be possible to make a pdf out of it and send the PDF as an attachment using the SMTP server.

I am trying to acheive emailing a filled-in pdf using a web application rather than using the email client on the client machine.

Any Suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Vijay

Former Community Member
Hi Jennifer,

I am doing a similar functionality like yours.

After retrieving the XML would it be possible to make a pdf out of it and send the PDF as an attachment using the SMTP server.

I am trying to achieve emailing a filled-in pdf using a web application rather than using the email client on the client machine.

Any Suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Vijay

Former Community Member
Hi,

I am inserting the e-mail submit button in the adobe live cycle designer PDF form. I am writing down the e mail address that the form has to be sent to, but still I dont have it correct because the submit button doesnt work?

What could be the possible reason and solution for this?

suzantahir

Level 7
>I am inserting the e-mail submit button in the adobe live cycle designer PDF form. I am writing down the e mail address that the form has to be sent to, but still I dont have it correct because the submit button doesnt work?

Do you have the product called Adobe LiveCycle Forms? This is a server

product. It sounds as if your question belongs in the LiveCycle

Designer forum.

Aandi Inston