Expand my Community achievements bar.

Sharing a form

Former Community Member
Hello. I am new at this so bear with me. I'm trying to create a pdf that is able to be posted online, so that users may access it, and fill it out, then return it to us. I was able to format it, but I want it to be re-submitted to us as a pdf. I want people to be able to edit the file using Adobe reader, then to be able to save the file as a pdf and send it back to us and/or get the "send to email" button to somehow make it save the document as a pdf, instead of xml format. Is there a way to do this? I feel like I have seen sites that used this technology, but I don't know how to do it.
3 Replies

Level 2
Hi Traci!

In your form, do as follows:

Add a button (not the email submit button, just the "button")

Set the Control type to Submit(under your Object tab)

On the Submit tab (under your Object tab), add "mailto:name@domain.com" in the Submit to URL box

Change the Submit As drop down to 'PDF' (your other options are XML, XDP and FDF)

Save the form

Open the form in Adobe Professional 8.0 (not livecycle designer)

Go to the Advanced option on the toolbar and select "Enable Usage Rights in Adobe Reader" which will require you to save the file again.

And the you're ready to go!

*NOTE*: If you want to distribute to more than 500 users, you will require Adobe Reader Extensions Licenses.

Former Community Member
Thanks. I tried it and I'm stil having trouble. When testing it in reader, I click on the button and get a message about how the document is trying to connect to the file path (it actually writes out the file path of the document) then the mailto: email address. It says if I trust the site, to choose allow, which I do, but it doesn't bring up an email form.

I'm using Adobe Live Cycle Designer, Adobe Reader 9.0 and Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended 9.0. Any clue on why it's not working?

Level 2
This may sound like a stupid question, but:

when you save it in LiveCycle Designer, in what format (XDP? PDF?) and with what settings (dynamic? Static?) do you save it?

Also - this may be an operating system security level issue - what are you running?