Expand my Community achievements bar.

Send complete form as PDF

Former Community Member
I'm new, and this question has probably been asked before. I have created a simple form that I want other people to fill in and send via mail, but an .xml-file does not help as I don't understand .xml.

How come the whole form, as PDF, can't be saved or sent by mail as PDF?

How can I use this .xml-file to view the data in an logic way?

The reason I want to do this is so I don't have to print the form, but to get as much paperless workflow as possible.

Thanks for any help.
7 Replies

Former Community Member
I am about the same position as yourself, I am teaching myself LiveCycle 8, upon receiving the XML file back I save it to the desktop using the name of the sender, open up the blank original form in Acrobat 8, go to Forms, Manage form data, Import. This will re populate the form with the data and then I save it with a new name.

Hope this helps, there may be a completely different way but this is working for me currently.

Level 6
Submitting only the XML data is the default. If you want to submit the completed PDF instead of just the XML data, then you need to set up your submit button to do so. When you use the "e-mail submit" button or the "http submit" button from the standard library, you can't do that. Instead, add a regular button. On its Field tab, set the "control type" to "submit". An additional tab called submit will appear. On the submit tab, set "submit as" to "PDF". Now, in "Submit to URL", enter mailto:whatever@whatever.com.

For this to work, your users will need Adobe Acrobat. Well, maybe not. If your users only have the free Reader it should be possible if you add usage rights to the form, but I haven't tried that.

Hope this helps.

Jared Langdon

http://www.jlangdon.ca

Former Community Member
Once you create the button with the mailto: save your pdf. (assuming your in livecycle designer.) Then open up the form in Adobe Acrobat 8.0 (as far as I know 7.0 does not have this functionality avialable) go to Advanced then Enable Usage Rights in Adobe Reader. It will then ask you to save now. And that enables anyone with adobe reader to submit the pdf attached to an email using that button.

One thing to note, every time I make changes to the form after setting up those rights, I have to go back to acrobat and enable the rights again.

Former Community Member
Thanks everyone! It works fine now James, thank you very much.

Former Community Member
Following on from this...is it possible when sending a pdf by email to set the subject of the email and the name of the pdf?

Thanks,

Emma O'Brien

Former Community Member
You can set the subject of the email and the body text of the email. (I don't know of any way you can set the file name. If anyone knows, please post!)

When you specify the mailto: address on your submit button (after the address include the following -

mailto:address@here?subject=New Translation Request&body=Body text goes here

Former Community Member
As for setting the file name. I haven't done it or even tried but I would think that you should be able to programatically save the file as a different name then send it. So when the button is clicked, have it run code to save the file as a different name then complete the mailto command.

As I said, I haven't done it so not sure if you can have this button run code and the mailto. If it doesn't, try creating a 2nd button. Hide the mailto button. Then when the 2nd button is pushed, it runs the save as code and then initializes the mailto: button.

Just thinking off the top of my head here. I haven't done much programming so don't have code examples for you but figured I'd share my thoughts.