Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Save a completed form?

Former Community Member
I have 2 questions:

a.) how do you design the form to be able to save a copy of it completed for later use?

b.) Is there a way to have something auto-populate when used in multiple locations? (i. e. a person's name)

Thank you!
12 Replies

Former Community Member
a) Do you want to save just the data in the form or the data and the form together?

b) Yes ...ensure the objects have the same name, then clcik on each object individually and goto the Binding Tab (on the Object palette). Then set the binding to Global.

Former Community Member
What I have created is a hire binder. I need to have the candidate complete the form and once completed we'd like to save a copy of it completed to utilize inthe future or email to the powers that be for approval.

For the binding, do I just click Global after I click on each item for binding or do I Cntl and click the multiple areas before clicking Global once?

Former Community Member
So you can have a button on the form to initiate the save but the user will have to complete the save or choose the File SaveAS in Reader or Acrobat. The complete task cannot be automated. You can put a button on the form and put this code on the click event:

app.execmenuItem("saveAs");

The user will have to complete the dialog to finish the save.

For the binding click on the field that you want to repeat, then set the Binding, then click the next field, then set the binding (ensuring that they have the same name).

Former Community Member
I am good on Binding. Makes sense now. Thank you!!

As for saving; by complete the dialog' you mean what? If they are using only Reader, can this be accomplished?

Sorry, I need to brush on up my tech saviness...

Former Community Member
I have one more thing... can you data cpature from this type of document?

Former Community Member
Basically you are hitting the File/SaveAs for the user and they simply have to choose a file name to complete the operation.

As far as Reader being used you will have to Reader Extend you document to allow this to happen. Reader will not let you save a file without Extending it.

Yes you can Data capture from this type of doc .....this allows you to save either the data (stand alone) or save the data and form together as a completed PDF.

Former Community Member
Not certain Data ....all data. You can have a button on the form and on the click event enter this code:

xfa.host.exportData();

Former Community Member
I tried to save the document after completing a portion of it and am told "Adobe reader can only save a blank copy of this form". Is there another way to save this document?

Former Community Member
Nope you need to Reader Extend the form to allow that functionality.

Former Community Member
how would they extend? By purchasing Adobe? I need to be able to save with Reader... is this possible at all??

Former Community Member
There are two options.

1. You can Reader Extend your form using Acrobat 9 to allow it to save data locally. There are legal ramifications but I do not know them off the top of my head so make sure you read the End User License Agreement.

2. There are server products that do this for you but they are intended for an enterprise account to use for all of there forms. you may find this one cost prohibitive. If you are interested look under the LiveCycle product Family and you want Reader Extensions.