Expand my Community achievements bar.

Read only fields receive focus

Level 6
I have noticed that in version 8, read only and protected fields, while they cannot be changed, still receive focus when tabbing or clicking. That was not the case in previous versions. I used to use code to enable/disable fields so that the user could simply tab past ones that were not applicable. Now the user still has to tab through them. I can't imagine that this was an intentional change. Can you confirm whether it will be fixed in a future dot release? Thanks.
5 Replies

Level 6
Can someone from Adobe comment on this? I would like to know whether this bug will be fixed in the next update. Thanks.

Level 6
Okay, it looks like I've found the answer to this one. It's not a bug. From the XFA 2.4 Specification:

readOnly

========

The processing application must not allow the user to make direct changes to the container's content. Indirect changes (e.g., via calculations) may occur. The container shall participate in the tabbing sequence and must allow the user to view its content, possibly scrolling through that content if required. The user must be able to select the container's content for clipboard copying. The container shall also generate a subset of events (those not associated with the user making direct changes to the content).

protected

=========

The processing application must prevent the user from making any direct changes to the container's content. Indirect changes (e.g., via calculations) may occur. The container will not participate in the tabbing sequence, though an application may allow the selection of text for clipboard copying. A protected container will not generate any events.

So, if I want the object to be excluded from the tabbing order, I need to set its access property to "protected", not "readOnly". The LC Designer GUI doesn't seem to allow me to set the access to "protected", so I can do it by editing the XML source or by setting the access programatically on the initialize event of the object.

Hope this post helps someone other than me.

Jared

Former Community Member
When opening the same document in Adobe Acrobat 7.0 professional readOnly does not receive focus, the cursor changes into a little hand.

So I beleave this issue is a bug in Adbobe Reader 8.0 .

Adobe Reader 8.0 should react in the same way as Adobe Acrobat 7.0 professional.

Former Community Member
I had the same problem some time ago and reported it to Adobe as a bug.

Their response was that it should work the way it does now and that the way it worked in version 7 was due to a bug!

I requested that the ability for the LC Designer GUI to set the access to "protected" be provided in a future release. I understand that as a result this is now on Adobe's enhancement list.

Former Community Member
Thank You! J R for your persistance with Adobe.