Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Read Computer Name

Level 5
Can we read 'Computer Name' and display in text field when the PDF form is loaded? Can someone give me syntax?
6 Replies

Former Community Member
I don't think you can - this would be an opportunity for a security leak if it were possible - you'd be able to get the name of the computer and then via WSDL tell someone else the name of the computer the user is using.

You can get the platform (xfa.host.platform) and the host application (xfa.host.name, usually "Acrobat") but nothing that's particularly identifying.

--

SteveX

Adobe Systems

Level 5
Steve,

But in my case I have to uniquely identify a user and allow him/her to add data one and only one time (when the form opens blank). And then have the document emailed to their manager. Manager will have edit rights. This would be offline PDF document so at form load I have to uniquely identify the user.

Former Community Member
Could you ask the user to digitally sign the form? Place a signature field on the form for the user to sign before they forward it to their manager.

Having the user to sign the form ensures you know who submitted it, and they know that they're placing their ID into the form.

--

SteveX

Adobe Systems

Level 5
If the users need some equipment (like ePads) to sign, then NO we can not use your idea. However if you have workaround can you send me a sample?

Thanks,

SekharN

Former Community Member
You don't need any fancy hardware to digitally sign a document. I've attached a PDF that's a Designer form that has a signature field on it; try it out and see what you think.

--

SteveX

Adobe Systems

Level 5
Thank you Steve... I think this works. Thanks again.

SekharN