I have just upgraded to Acrobat Professional 8 and created a survey with Designer. I have sent it out to some people and got two XML files back. The files themselves contain the answers, I see the data there. I have re-named the files and saved them in a folder on my desktop.
I then open Acrobat Pro 8, go to forms > manage form data > merge data files into spread sheet, "add" the two XML files from that folder, then click "export" and save as "report.csv", which is the default setting. It comes up with a window saying "Done!" and I click on "View File now". This opens Excel, which is what I want.
THE PROBLEM IS that there is no data and I only see the two FILE NAMES in column A row 2 and 3. The file names are in full with ".xml" at the end. The data within the XML files (that I want) does not appear in this CSV spreadsheet that I just created.
One further comment: I did not have this problem with Acrobat Pro 7, the data sets came out and I easily edited them, created graphs etc.
Can you please provide some advice as to how I can solve this?
I don't know whether this is the best way or not, but after creating the form in Designer I use the Distribute Forms process. There's a short cut icon within the Designer Toolbar or you can do it through Acrobat. The creates a dataset, seperate to the original form, which you can store elsewhere, and a version which can be edited and saved by Reader users (they should be using 8.x - especially if you're using dynamic forms). You then receive a return which will automatically open up to the last dataset accessed - or you may have to browse for or need to create a new one somewhere. When complete the form itself will open with a data view above it. You can select and export the data from this viewing pane to an xml file.
Then in Excel, using the Data>xml>xml source tool you can add your data set. As you receive further email returns, your pdf dataset grows. Export and update the xml file as required; go to the spreadsheet and refresh the data table.
I'm sure there are probably more efficient ways of doing this, but it works ok for me at least.
Thank you very much for your reply. I have tried a similar option before - I simply imported the XML file that I get back from the people being surveyed into Excel, each imported file results in a line of data. All I have to do later is merge that data into a useable set, much like what you have described. Thank you again.
If anyone has a different solution or way of getting around my problem, or have experienced a similar glitch please do tell - I would love to know!