Expand my Community achievements bar.

July 31st AEM Gems Webinar: Elevate your AEM development to master the integration of private GitHub repositories within AEM Cloud Manager.

Preventing Coping of PDF

Former Community Member
I am creating a form in Designer 7 that I do not want the user to be able to copy any portion of it. I found the prevention from this by document security but noticed that someone still could hit print screen and copy it this way. Is there a way to remove the print screen functionality or make at least the PDF scrambled looking when they hit print screen?
5 Replies

Former Community Member
You can only prevent to a certain level. If you can figure out how to disable the print screen capture, how can you stop the user from taking a digital camera and take a picture of the screen?

Level 7
And, of course, the file can be e-mailed anywhere.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
I work at a law firm that is making greater use of electronic imaging. We use PDF's and images to give attorneys easy access to information. The problem is that attorneys are saving some document images to their hard drives and desk tops. This gives them the impression that they have the one and only, unchangeably reliable document. That's not true. Documents change, whether completely in substance, or by addition of a judge's signature that turns a proposal into law. We need to be able to prevent attorneys from saving documents to their own computers/desktops. We need for them to rely on us, the MIS people and the litigation support staff, to give them the fresh information that they need. To do that, we need to be able to prevent attorneys from saving documents to their computers.

Is it possible to prepare a PDF that can't be saved to any computer except the database/server?

Former Community Member
Lou_de_Montfort@adobeforums.com wrote:

> I work at a law firm that is making greater use of electronic imaging. We use PDF's and images to give attorneys easy access to information. The problem is that attorneys are saving some document images to their hard drives and desk tops. This gives them the impression that they have the one and only, unchangeably reliable document. That's not true. Documents change, whether completely in substance, or by addition of a judge's signature that turns a proposal into law. We need to be able to prevent attorneys from saving documents to their own computers/desktops. We need for them to rely on us, the MIS people and the litigation support staff, to give them the fresh information that they need. To do that, we need to be able to prevent attorneys from saving documents to their computers.

>

> Is it possible to prepare a PDF that can't be saved to any computer except the database/server?

You cannot prevent people from saving a copy of the file. Even Policy

Server cannot prevent that. If the file has been downloaded from a web

server, then a local copy of the file has already been created. I think

you need to take a different approach to the problem. Digital

Signatures can help you with what you are trying to do. When a digital

signature is applied to a PDF, the contents of the document are

encrypted to ensure that the document is not modified. Digital

Signatures would address issues related to the validity of the documents

rather than access control. You should definately look into digital

signatures to see if they are feasible for you.

Another possibility would be to use Policy Server to control access to

the documents. When a document is created, you would apply a policy to

the document which determines who has access to that document. If a

newer version of the document is created, Policy Server would allow you

to revoke access to the original document and apply a similar policy to

the new document. Once the original document has been revoked, no one

will be able to access the document again.

I think both seem to be valid possibilities based on the limited

information I have about your environment. The right choice will come

down to determining which solution best meets your business requirements.

Justin Klei

Cardinal Solutions Group

www.cardinalsolutions.com

Former Community Member
Lou,

you need a Digital Rights Management tool like Adobe Live Cycle Policy Server or Authentica Secure Documents for PDF.

Regards,

Chris