Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Prepopulating PDF forms with data from XML file

Former Community Member
How can I get a PDF form to open pre-populated with data from an XML file automatically? I've been using Adobe LifeCycle Designer 8.0 and there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. The closest I came was to use the ImportData method, but that only lets you specify a data file if the form is signed (certified), which these aren't and don't need to be because we're using them on an internal company web page. ImportData works if there is no file name, but then the user has to navigate to and select the correct file, which we can't rely on our users to do.

I've researched this problem for days on this and other websites and haven't found an answer (one Adobe advisor suggested purchasing LifeCycle Forms, which is not an option because it's a $10,000 software package and the company wouldn't authorize a purchase that steep). We will buy a less-expensive option if there is one. We'll even hire a consultant if we can find one to who can design a supportable solution. All suggestions will be much appreciated.
12 Replies

Level 9
Hi Sharon

The easiest way is:

- Open your PDF form within Acrobat

- From the File menu, import the XML form data into the form

- From the File menu, use Save As... to save the file with a new name.

The new PDF will be identical to the original one, but will have the data embedded in it. Voila.

If you want the same form to pre-populate with different XML files depending on the circumstances, or if you're generating the XML on the fly, then things get more complicated. (And more expensive.) As your consultant said, LiveCycle Forms is one option, but it is expensive (actually even more than 10K). There are other options, including Cold Fusion, custom servlets, etc.

Howard

http://www.avoka.com

Former Community Member
I am having the same problem! But my import option is only allowing me to import other PDF files and won't even give me the option to import an XML file! What am I doing wrong?

Former Community Member
I have the same problem. Howard, there is no 'Import XML' from the Acrobat file menu.

Former Community Member
In Adobe Acrobat 8, open your (empty) PDF form.

In the menu, go to Forms > Manage Form data > Import Data.

Then select the XML file and Acrobat populates that data into the empty form.

Former Community Member
Ok, tried that and here is the message I got:

"This document restricts some Acrobat features to allow for extended features in Adobe Reader. To create a copy of the document that is not restricted (and has no extended features in Adobe Reader), click Save a Copy."

So after I save a copy THAT new copy has the import option grayed-out (so I can't select it).

I'm opening this in Acrobat Professional, so I'm not sure what I need to do to NOT 'restrict some Acrobat features'.

Level 6

I've run into this problem of not being able to import XML data into a reader-enabled PDF.  Anyone know where to find more information about that?  Anyone know why Adobe is disallowing the import of data into a reader-enabled form?  I'm using Acrobat 8.  Anyone know if this issue still exists in version 9?  Thanks.

Level 1

Yes. This problem persists in version 9 and is very frustrating. I am struglling here myself as well with this issue. Can somone from Adobe please post a resolution?

Level 1

The only way I've managed to get round the issue of 'Import Form Data' using a rights enabled form is to save a copy of the form with the user rights disabled. You should then be able to use this copy to import data.

Level 3

Whatever became of FDF data? It was more compact than xml (which appears to be the only way of outputing form data in Acrobat X) and could be opened in Reader as long as you had a blank copy of the form used to create the data. Seems silly to get rid of something that worked so well. Is it still possible to create an FDF file in Acrobat X?

Level 1

Thank you for your Kaizen submission

Your Kaizen and all other Kaizens can be viewed by following the link below:

<file://N:\PPI\Kaizen\Kaizen Data\Kaizen Data.xls<file://N:\PPI\Kaizen\Kaizen%20Data\Kaizen%20Data.xls>>

Please allow a few days for your Kaizen details to be entered into the system.

Former Community Member
I created a .pdf fillable form in Adobe 7.0.7 professional which I have. I also have a submit button so when the customer fills out the info, it creates a .xml data file. They, can then, e-mail that to the company and then they should be able to import the data into a blank form by doing Forms > Manage Form data > Import Data

But that is if the company has a Professional version. Right now, they only have Adobe Reader. So is there a way that if the company only has Adobe Reader, how can they import .xml data into a blank file.

Former Community Member
Has anybody found a solution to opening up an xml using Adobe Reader?