Expand my Community achievements bar.

Prepopulate Dropdown List in From Guide.

Former Community Member
Hi All,

I designed a form in XDP format and wanted to present it to clients as a form guide through a servlet. The form contains dropdown lists that must be pre-populated before the client fills up the form. The data to pre-populate the dropdown list comes from LCES Process that uses "Query For Multiple Rows as XML".

1st Attempt.

Is there a direct way to accomplish the task. Passing a document object that contain the DB data in the RenderFormGuide API Call works only for text fields. The dropdown list is not populated ??

2nd Attempt.

As a workaround for that I stored the DB data in csv format in a hidden text field. The data is sent through, but the formCalc/Javascript (tried both) method that I tried to parse the hidden field and fills up the list didn't work in the form guide, however the javascript method appears to work fine when I fill up the form in dynamic pdf format.

Any help/hint is apprecaited

Regards,
5 Replies

Former Community Member
The other question

Does javascript/FormCalc work in form guides.

Thanks

Former Community Member
Thanks Howard the document is very helpful.

Unfortunately that doesn't solve my problem. My issues are related to the form guide not to the dynamic PDF. The same javascript that prepopulate the dynamic PDF fails to do so for the form guide. However, the text fields prepopulate in the form guide.

Thanks

Former Community Member
Howard,

Why do you insist on plugging your avoka resources in these forums when they're not even close to solving the problems people are facing?

Please, have some consideration. This LiveCycle stuff is confusing enough on its own without random posts throwing people off the scent.

I'm sure your avoka stuff has its uses, but really, I think it's a bit cheeky to be trying to intice them to your site when actually they're desparate to solve a completely different problem.

Level 9
Pete

I was actually a little taken aback when I first read your comment, until I read some of your other posts, and realized exactly what kind of person you are. I then very nearly didn't dignify you with a reply, but since I do spend a awful amount of my personal time on this site actually trying to help people, I thought I should set the record straight.

Firstly, my response to this comment was first and foremost intended to be helpful. I did misinterpret the question in that it related specifically to Form Guides, and not to populating a combo in general. I respond to a lot of postings, and sadly being human I sometimes make mistakes. For this I apologise profusely. Although I notice Amar didn't seem to have any difficulty understanding my mistake.

The technique I referred to on our web site contains PDF Javascript code for populating a combo-box, which is the primary technique I was referring to. It also mentions some LiveCycle 7 QPACs which can (optionally) be used to create the data for populating the combo. Please note that this is for LiveCycle SEVEN. Avoka does not have a QPAC for doing this in LiveCycle ES, primarily because this functionality is now built into LiveCycle ES. There is no possibility that my comment could in any way be construed as "plugging avoka resources", because there is no Avoka resource that would help in solving this problem.

Secondly, I did a quick analysis of postings on this forum, mine vs yours.

Doing a search for "Howard Treisman" on this forum results in 571 hits.

In the first 15 of these that are displayed, the statistics are:

- 1 discussion that mentions a hypothetical QPAC (which Avoka doesn't have).

- 1 comment on forum etiquette

- 1 warning against a potentially dangerous procedure

- 12 were all answers to other people's questions, on a variety of subjects, NONE of which "plugged" any Avoka resource.

By contrast, a search for "petesmith" on this forum results in 18 hits.

In the first 15 of these that are displayed, the statistics are:

- 8 questions

- 4 whines (2 offensive)

- 2 unhelpful replies

- 1 helpful reply

You may notice that this adds up to more than 15, this is because you often manage to get a whine PLUS a question into a single posting. Well done.

I think this data speaks for itself.

Lastly, I found the following posting from you:

"I don't want to sound ungrateful, but the Adobe user-to-user forums just aren't detailed enough to be really useful. When you're developing a solution you need answers right away, not hours, days or even months later. Plus, the same questions keep coming up again and again, with different people answering them at different times. Seriously, the lack of available info is extremely frustrating."

Just re-read your comment, and think about what you're actually saying. Are YOU serious??? There are a whole lot of people up on these forums who are donating their own precious time and knowledge to helping others, and not being paid a cent for it, and you're complaining that it's not detailed enough, or not quick enough!!!????

Pete, do us all a favour, and do yourself one too, and stay off these forums until you change your attitude. People meet on these forums in a genuine attempt to learn, and help each other. Why don't you try actually helping someone else, before complaining about what a lousy job everyone else is doing.

Howard

PS It's "entice", not "intice", and "desperate", not "desparate".