Expand my Community achievements bar.

Attention: Experience League Community will undergo scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, August 20th between 10-11 PM PDT. During this time, the Community and its content will not be accessible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

PDF access rights

Former Community Member
Hiya,

heres the problem, i need to have my companies policies etc. PDF's on the website people that access the site can only view the document and save a copy but not print and edit etc. But employees within the company need access to be able to print these documents with a password any ideas??

Cheers

Kyle
4 Replies

Level 7
Is this question about how to set up the LiveCycle Document Security

product, whether LiveCycle Document Security will do this, or a

general request for a suitable product?

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
If LiveCycle will do this then yes i would like to know how to set this up.

Level 7
Sorry to be picky, but when you say LiveCycle do you mean that you

have purchased the product "LiveCycle Document Security". Not everyone

realises that LiveCycle is the label on lots of different products.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
There are two products that you need to be aware of.

First, Adobe LiveCycle Policy Server is an ERM (enterprise rights management) product that allows you to control access to PDF documents, and permissions as to what a user can do with the document. So, in your scenario, you could use Policy Server to define a policy that could be applied to your PDFs. You can specifiy in the policy, who can open and view the document. The user must authenticate to the system with a user name and password to open the document. You can also set permissions at the user level, for example you could disable printing, copying etc. for UserA, and allow printing for UserB.

Policies can be applied to a PDF in two ways, 1) a user can manually apply a policy to a PDF using Acrobat 7.0x Professional or Standard, 2) Programmatically (automated) using the Adobe LiveCycle Document Security product

The second product that you need to be aware of is Adobe LiveCycle Document Security. This product allows you (through APIs) to:

Digitally sign PDFs (server side)

Validate Digital Signatures

Apply "password" based encryption (same password protection as Acrobat)

Apply Policy Server Policies to PDFs (server side)

Apply "certificate" (PKI) based encryption (same certificate based encryption as Acrobat)

For more information check out http://www.adobe.com/security

Regards

Steve Forrest