Expand my Community achievements bar.

'No action was selected.' error when submitting a form

Former Community Member
I have been having problems getting a form to initiate my workflow process. I open the form in the form manager, fill it out, hit the submit button and get the following error: "No action was selected. Your data has been saved in your drafts folder. Open the work item again, select an action, and resubmit the form"

What makes this issue especially tough to debug is that the workflow server appears to be caching the error. For instance, I start with a simple form invoking a simple workflow -> that works. I then change the InitForm to use the real form (complex) and I get the error. If I switch back to the simple form, the error persists. The only way that I can get back to a working combination is to create a new simple workflow and simple form from scratch (and that does not always work). Does anyone have a suggestion for the "no action was selected" error, or for the strange caching that appears to be happening with the workflow server?

Thanks in advance

Chris
2 Replies

Level 9
Hi Chris

We were getting this on one of our dev boxes a while ago.

We ended up completely reinstalling LiveCycle on the box, and the problem went away. We're not sure exactly what the problem is/was, but our suspicions are one of the following:

- improperly installed Form Designer for some reason creates forms that don't submit properly

- some sort of caching in JBoss - remove the work and temp directories, and restart

- improperly configured LiveCycle.ear file for some reason - rerun Config Manager and recreate.

- LiveCycle components installed in the incorrect order - install Workflow last, after Form Manager and Forms.

- Something else?

Please post to the forum if any of the above work (or don't work) so that we know what works next time this happens.

Good luck

Howard

Former Community Member
All,

This appears to be an issue with Forms 7.1.

From Adobe Support:

"Under normal circumstances, if you take Workflow out of the picture and submit data from a PDF form that has a schema associated to it, the submitted data will conform exactly to the schema. So if you have

fields on the form that don't correspond to nodes in the schema the data for those fields will not be submitted. However, when you add

Workflow into the picture, the data for the workflow fields MUST be

submitted regardless of whether they are in the schema or not because

it's essential for things to work. Those nodes get removed from the DOM at a later time so that the data that's in your form process variable will conform to the schema. With LC Forms 7.0.1 installed this is working fine and all the Workflow fields are passed on fine. With LC Forms 7.1 installed, all the Workflow fields get submitted except for the AWS_ACTION field. Which is why Form Manager then complains that no action was selected."

Workarounds:

1) Don't supply Choice List options for the init form in the workflow

2) Don't associate your form with a schema

3) Add an element into your schema for AWS_ACTION of type xsd:string

such that it will be submitted along with the rest of the data.

Option #3 worked for me, and fixed my issue.

Chris