Sign in

Sign in to Community

to gain points, level up, and earn exciting badges like the new
Bedrock Mission!

Learn more

Sign in to view all badges

Navigating SQL Records in PDF

Not applicable
I am having a problem with navigating/selecting records from a SQL Database. I have a simple PDF form that I need filled in automatically when the user selects a specific records from the database. My ODBC conenction works, I can see the "first" record in the database populates the form correctly (I should note this is a one-way form, it only reads data from the database). My dropdown diplays the first record's data from the database, but when I click the down arror of the dropdown I get an error sound/beep. That's it, nothing else happens. It is bound properly to a field in the query. I have also tried binding the dropdown directly to a table and a also a stored procedure. All have the same result, the dropdown just beeps when you try to use it. Before I brought this product I specifically asked Adobe sales if I could do what I wanted (navigate the database to populate and print the forms.) They said YES, but it appears to be more challenging that a simple "Word Mail Merge" (which I don't want to do!). Any and all suggestions/help is appreciated. Thanks.
0 Replies
pguerett
Level 10
Level 10
Are you testing your form as a preview in Designer? If so have a look at the preview tab on the form properties and see that the form is being render as an interactive form or a print form. My guess is that it is set to print.
Not applicable
Yes, I am testing my form in preview, also in reader as well.

It is set to Interactive. Still beeps when using the dropdown.

Funny thing is that I created a another VERY simple two control item form. One dropdown and one field to check the dropdown is working.

Connected to a table in the database. Same thing. That ugly beep like error sound. ???
Not applicable
I just set up a new database connection, tweaked it every way known to man. Set up a blank form from scratch, published it. etc,etc,etc.... Still not working.

--BEGIN RANT--

HELLO? anyone from ADOBE out there? What magical wand do I have to wave for this to work "as advertised"? or should I just chalk this up to false advertising and switch back to MS Word mail merges? (which, by the way, are pretty damn simple to setup and integrate into SQL databases)

--END RANT--
Not applicable
OK, apoligies for the rant..<br /><br />After much reading and copying I now get the first record to display in the dropdown. Upon further reading this too is a problem shared by many. Most without resolve. here is my javascript behind the dropdown. Showing the initialize and the click.<br /><br />What I now get is only the first record and this error.<br /><br /> Error: null is not an object<br /><br />CODE BELOW<br /><br />----topmostSubform.Page1.DataDropDownList::initialize: - (JavaScript, client) --------------------<br /><br />/* This dropdown list object will populate two columns with data from a data connection.<br /><br /> sDataConnectionName - name of the data connection to get the data from. Note the data connection will appear in the Data View.<br /> sColHiddenValue - this is the hidden value column of the dropdown. Specify the table column name used for populating.<br /> sColDisplayText - this is the display text column of the dropdown. Specify the table column name used for populating.<br /><br /> These variables must be assigned for this script to run correctly. Replace <value> with the correct value.<br />*/ <br /><br />var sDataConnectionName = "BBCC"; // example - var sDataConnectionName = "MyDataConnection";<br />var sColHiddenValue = "ContactAdmin_Key"; // example - var sColHiddenValue = "MyIndexValue";<br />var sColDisplayText = "JobDescription"; // example - var sColDisplayText = "MyDescription"<br /><br />// Search for sourceSet node which matchs the DataConnection name<br />var nIndex = 0;<br />while(xfa.sourceSet.nodes.item(nIndex).name != sDataConnectionName)<br />{<br /> nIndex++;<br />}<br /><br />var oDB = xfa.sourceSet.nodes.item(nIndex);<br />oDB.open();<br />oDB.first();<br /><br />// Search node with the class name "command"<br />var nDBIndex = 0;<br />while(oDB.nodes.item(nDBIndex).className != "command")<br />{<br /> nDBIndex++;<br />}<br /><br />// Backup the original settings before assigning BOF and EOF to stay<br />var sBOFBackup = oDB.nodes.item(nDBIndex).query.recordSet.getAttribute("bofAction");<br />var sEOFBackup = oDB.nodes.item(nDBIndex).query.recordSet.getAttribute("eofAction");<br /><br />oDB.nodes.item(nDBIndex).query.recordSet.setAttribute("stayBOF", "bofAction");<br />oDB.nodes.item(nDBIndex).query.recordSet.setAttribute("stayEOF", "eofAction");<br /><br />// Clear the list<br />this.clearItems();<br /><br />// Search for the record node with the matching Data Connection name<br />nIndex = 0;<br />while(xfa.record.nodes.item(nIndex).name != sDataConnectionName)<br />{<br /> nIndex++;<br />}<br />var oRecord = xfa.record.nodes.item(nIndex);<br /><br />// Find the value node<br />var oValueNode = null;<br />var oTextNode = null;<br />for(var nColIndex = 0; nColIndex < oRecord.nodes.length; nColIndex++)<br />{<br /> if(oRecord.nodes.item(nColIndex).name == sColHiddenValue)<br /> {<br /> oValueNode = oRecord.nodes.item(nColIndex);<br /> }<br /> else if(oRecord.nodes.item(nColIndex).name == sColDisplayText)<br /> {<br /> oTextNode = oRecord.nodes.item(nColIndex);<br /> }<br />}<br /><br />while(!oDB.isEOF())<br />{<br /> this.addItem(oTextNode.value, oValueNode.value);<br /> oDB.next();<br />}<br /><br />// Restore the original settings<br />oDB.nodes.item(nDBIndex).query.recordSet.setAttribute(sBOFBackup, "bofAction");<br />oDB.nodes.item(nDBIndex).query.recordSet.setAttribute(sEOFBackup, "eofAction");<br /><br />// Close connection<br />oDB.close();<br /><br />----- topmostSubform.Page1.DataDropDownList::click: - (JavaScript, client) -------------------------<br /><br />if (Len(Ltrim(Rtim(SelectField.rawValue))) > 0) then<br /><br /> $sourceset.BBCC.#command.query.commandType = "Text"<br /><br /> $sourceset.BBCC.#command.query.select.nodes.<br /> item(0).value = Concat("Select * from CA_MergeDocs Where ContractAdmin_Key = ",<br /> Ltrim(Rtrim(SelectField.rawValue)) ,"")<br /> <br /> //Reopen the DataConnection<br /> <br />$sourceset.BBCC.open()<br /><br />endif<br /><br />-----------------