Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Losing Reader Extension Rights After Saving

Former Community Member
Hi,

I have a form I have had extensions enabled. When a user opens the doc with Reader 7 for a start it works fine, they can fill in the fields and save the form. However, when they come back later to make more changes to the form (after saving and closing it once) they receive this message:

"This document contained certain rights to enable special features in Adobe Reader. The document has been changed since it was created and these rights are no longer valid. Please contact the author for the original version of this document."

At first I thought this must just be the way its supposed to work, but then I downloaded a sample enabled PDF from Adobe. I was able to open the sample, make changes, save it, and reopen it and make more changes and save again. I created another test form with a couple of fields and enabled it and it worked fine too (so its not my copy of Extensions software).

Does anybody have any idea why this is happening to my form, or experienced the problem? It does use a fair bit of java script to automate filling, but I don't see how that could hurt it.

Thanks in advance,

David
47 Replies

Employee

Can you send me test file (good one not broken one) to syen@adobe.com, and tell me the steps how do you see the problem?

Also tell me how do you apply UB into the PDF by using Acrobat 9 or Livecycle UB server?

Once I can reproduce the problem here then I will talk to developer and log a bug in our side then the problem will be fixed in later build.

Thanks.

Steven;

Employee

Hi David,

Can you send me test file (good one not broken one) to syen@adobe.com, and tell me the steps how do you see the problem?

Also tell me how do you apply UB into the PDF by using Acrobat 9 or Livecycle UB server?

Once I can reproduce the problem here then I will talk to developer and log a bug in our side then the problem will be fixed in later build.

Thanks.

Steven;

Level 1

I ran into the same issue and none of the 'solutions' posted in this thread have helped. After lots of testing, here is my conclusion.

The original editable PDF is created with Adobe Professional (with Extend Features in Adobe Reader enabled). This PDF is then emailed to various people. As long as each user opens and edits this PDF in Adobe Reader (NOT PRO), the changes are saved and the next person can continue to open/edit without any issues. If someone opens this PDF in Adobe Pro, and then saves the file, the PDF then loses the Extended Features. From that point on anyone who opens this PDF with Adobe Reader will get the error message:

"This document contained certain rights to enable special features in  Adobe Reader. The document has been changed since it was created and  these rights are no longer valid. Please contact the author for the  original version of this document."

Only individuals with Adobe Pro will be able to open this new PDF and make edits/saves.

Long story short, once this PDF leaves the original creator, make sure everyone who opens/edits/saves this file does so with Adobe Reader (the free version from adobe.com). Or have everyone upgrade to Adobe Pro, which might be a slightly more expensive solution.

Former Community Member

@ blazer380: I'm using Acrobat 9 Pro (Mac) yet I can make further edits. My colleagues on various older versions of Reader (Windows) can't make further edits, which is basically the opposite of the scenario you describe.

Very confusing.

Employee

If the PDF file has Reader Extension Rights then you can edit it in Reader and Acrobat. But if the PDF file doesn't have Reader Extension Rights then you can't edit it in Reader only in Acrobat.

If the Reader Extension Rights is broken then you can't edit in Reader, only in Acrobat.

Hope this will clear out your confusion.

Level 1

Hi guys,

not sure if I will solve your problem,

but when you create pdf form /for me it is form designer, Adobe LiveCycle Designer/  (or get form from someone) it is possible that security of the file is set that pdf can not by saved or signed,

you should open the pdf in Adobe Acrobat (not Adobe Reader),

then > file > save as > reader extended pdf > Enable additional features

and thats it