Looking to lock form on email submission and set something from the form in the email subject

lostfrogg

lostfrogg

lostfrogg

13-10-2020

I have added an email submission button. I've looked around but can't seem to find the answer to this - how do I lock the form on submission? The form has an auto-populate today's date box, and currently every time I open the form it resets it to the current date. 

Second, I have fields on the form for "forename" and "surname". Would it be possible to have the following in the "email subject": 

[specific text] - (forename initial) (surname initial)

Thanks!

Replies

Highlighted

Kosta_Prokopiu1

Employee

Kosta_Prokopiu1

Employee

Kosta_Prokopiu1
Employee

14-10-2020

Since you packed 2 questions into 1 I answer the second one first.

Define your Submit by Email button WITHOUT the Email Subject: field.

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

Then go to the preSubmit event of the Email button and place the following script there

var sMailUrl=this.resolveNode("#event").submit.target;
this.resolveNode("#event").submit.target=sMailUrl + "?subject=Some Text "+Forname.rawValue+" "+Surename.rawValue;

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Highlighted

Kosta_Prokopiu1

Employee

Kosta_Prokopiu1

Employee

Kosta_Prokopiu1
Employee

14-10-2020

Regarding your date field. Assuming that you used the Current Date field from the Custom library:

Just add an if to the ready:layout event of the date field so that it looks like that:

if ($ == null) then
   $.rawValue = num2date(date(), DateFmt(1))
endif

That should prevent the repeated prefilling once a date has been set.

In JavaScript

if (this.rawValue == null) {

your code

}

Highlighted

lostfrogg

lostfrogg

lostfrogg

14-10-2020

Many thanks for your answer. Is it possible to have it show the name initials in the subject line? So instead of "Kosta Prokopiu", it would show "KP"?

Also, I presume that I have to put in the "long" paths to the forename and surname fields in the script?

Thanks

Highlighted

lostfrogg

lostfrogg

lostfrogg

14-10-2020

Thanks - I have this in the layout:ready event of the date field (in FormCalc):

if ($ == null) then
$.rawValue = Num2Date(Date(), "YYYY-MM-DD")
endif

When I try and submit the form however, I get an error message:

"The value you entered for Current date: is invalid. To ignore validations for Current date; click Ignore."

If I click ignore, it will submit the form, but the auto-calculated date field doesn't lock and just updates again whenever the form is opened.

Highlighted

Kosta_Prokopiu1

Employee

Kosta_Prokopiu1

Employee

Kosta_Prokopiu1
Employee

14-10-2020

Check your locale and date format in the patterns. Apparently the "date string" of the prefill does not match what the validation pattern expects.

Highlighted

Kosta_Prokopiu1

Employee

Kosta_Prokopiu1

Employee

Kosta_Prokopiu1
Employee

14-10-2020

this.resolveNode("#event").submit.target=sMailUrl + "?subject=Some Text "+Forname.rawValue+" "+Surename.rawValue + "(" + Forname.rawValue.substr(0,1) + Surename.rawValue.substr(0,1) + ")";

adds your initials like Some Text Kosta Prokopiu(KP)

Paths depend on where the objects are. With me they are in the same level - in your case you may require the full path.

Highlighted

lostfrogg

lostfrogg

lostfrogg

28-10-2020

Hi Kosta,

Thanks again for your input. I'm still struggling to get the date field to lock.

Regarding the code you told me to put into the layout:ready field - do I just copy your code and paste it in? I don't need to change anything such as DateFmt? Should that code all be in FormCalc rather than JavaScript?

When I change the DateFmt and have the following code in layout:ready with language set to FormCalc:

if ($ == null) then
$.rawValue = Num2Date(Date(), "YYYY-MM-DD")
endif

then the form fills in OK and I don't get any error message, but after submitting the form it doesn't lock the field, with the date updating each time I open the form.

When I just copy and paste it in, with the option set to formcalc, I can fill in the form OK and don't get a validation error message, but the field is not locked after submitting the form, and updates each time I open that form.

Locale for this field is set to "default locale" which is "English (USA)".

Thanks!

Highlighted

Kosta_Prokopiu1

Employee

Kosta_Prokopiu1

Employee

Kosta_Prokopiu1
Employee

28-10-2020

Check out my sample. The way I use this form is to open it in Reader, today`s date is prefilled. For testing I set it manually to yesterday and then Save As another file (emailing2.pdf). When I open emailing2.pdf I get yesterday's date - which is expected result.

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:e600abc1-348d-47c7-b832-a71183a1a5a...

Highlighted

lostfrogg

lostfrogg

lostfrogg

28-10-2020

Thanks for that Kosta. I'm sorry, I've been an idiot. I've been working on the current date field, but testing on the current time field, for which I have not entered any code! Would you be able to advise on what I should put in the "current time" field to get it to lock that also?