Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Live Cycle Designer crashing all the time

Former Community Member
Has somebody faced the problem with Live Cycle designer getting crashed even with resizing the control. Since yesterday it has crashed almost 10 times on my machine and mots of the time when I try to resize or move around the controls.

Thanks
5 Replies

Former Community Member
Yes we experience this issue a lot.

We seem to get this when our forms reach around 20 pages or so. We do have a very large number of controls on our forms.

We have been told by adobe that this could possibly be due to not having enough memory but as we have 2GB in our dev machines it sounds more like live cycle designer has issue traversing it's xml tree.

We have reduced our control count in some cases and in others, we have to live with it.

Hopefully the new version of designer will play a bit better.

Regards

Mike B

Former Community Member
>>Hopefully the new version of designer will play a bit better. <<

Amen.

Out of all the programs I use, no program comes close to crashing as often as Live Cycle Designer. It's buggier than a beehive, and I only use it as a last resort. Ours crashes long before we get into the 20-page range. If I'm using it for three hours, I can expect about six crashes. I can run Word, Photoshop, Quark, Excel and a handful of other programs all at the same time, but I can't run Live Cycle Designer all by itself for 30 minutes without a crash. I don't know why, but it's not a memory issue.

Phil E.

Former Community Member
Word.

The strange thing is that often it will crash after being idle for a while. I will go get coffee, come back and bang it's crashed without my doing anything!

Former Community Member
Can't help with why but...<br /><br />If Designer crashes you can recover the last PDF that you previewed by going to C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp and finding the most recent pdf with a name such as _12bs10afg3a40f3t7j.pdf. That should be the last version you Previewed.<br /><br />Rich Ruiz<br />Novanis

Former Community Member
I also can't help with why but have found that

1. Livecycle Designer 7 - Fast but unstable. Editing a 60 page form crashed 23.

2. Livecycle Designer 7.1 - Extremely slow but more stable when editing the same form. Only crashed 5 times but took 3 hours longer to do the same thing.

3. Livecycle Designer 8 (trial with Acrobat Pro 8) - Is fine. Works as fast as 7 and more stable than 7.1 Has only crashed once so far and have successfully built and amended 25 - 60 page forms.

So 8 is the way to go. Fortunately for us we get 8 as a free upgrade when it's fully released. So I would suggest anyone who is having problems with 7.x to give it a go. Not had any compatibility problems as yet.

Mike Beaton