Expand my Community achievements bar.

Lifecycle Workflow platform and database sizing guide?

Former Community Member
I've been asked to investigate the technical aspects of the Lifecycle Workflow and Reader Extension products.

I've gone through the various adobe websites a great deal and found installation guides but nothing that provides platform selection and database sizing recommendations.

We are considering both JBoss on Suse LInux and WebSphere on AIX as a platform.

Is anyone aware of any recommendations as to the choice of a platform?

Any experiences or recommendations out there from the user community?

Also, is there any documentation that gives guidance to database sizing? Frankly, I'm not sure I understand yet whether it's just the routing/metadata that gets stored in the workflow database or the actual documents as well.

Anyone point me at or provide me more technical documentation?

Thanks

Verlyn
1 Reply

Level 9
Hi Verlyn

I can answer some of your questions, based on my understanding.

The workflow engine does store the document itself as part of the workflow. In fact, it records the historical state of the document at each point that someone in the workflow worked on it. You can see this by looking at the "Participated" item in Form Manager, where you can see the historical value of each form that's been submitted. Any workflow attachments are also stored in the database.

It gets a little more complicated. Depending on how you structure your workflow, you can choose to either store the entire PDF (in a document or binary variable) or just the data (in a form variable -in which case the data is merged with an xdp template whenever someone wants to view it).

Document variables are also a little more intelligent: you can specify a size threshold. Below that threshold, the document is stored as a blob in the database - above the threshold, the document is stored in a folder on the file system. The default threshold value is 64K.

I hope this helps...

Howard Treisman

http://www.avoka.com