Expand my Community achievements bar.

Large file size and slow pagination when form filled out in Reader 7

Former Community Member
Hi all,

I have designed a form with Livecycle Designer 8. For compatibility, I have made it an Acrobat 7 (Dynamic) XML Form. The form itself is 18 pages long and when filled in with Reader 8, pagination is quick and the file size only jumps about 100KB. However, when I fill in the form with Reader 7, it takes about 10-20 seconds to repaginate the form each time a field is filled in and the filled in form size jumps to about 6MB!

Can anyone explain this behavior and tell me if there is a way that I can work around this for my clients using Reader 7?

Thanks.
2 Replies

Level 6
Adobe made some significant improvements in how dynamic forms are processed in version 8. Before 8, dynamic forms were a problem if they were more than a few pages. I think your options are to move your clients to version 8, create a static version of the form, or break up your form into many smaller ones that are dynamic.

Former Community Member
Hi,

Performance of forms was a known problem in Reader / Acrobat 7. There were afew things you can do to help but it can't be fixed other than by upgrading to version 8.

This document contains afew ideas to help with form performance:

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/pdf/lc_designer_perf_guidelines.pdf

There also used to be an Adobe document around for version 7 which stated that 8 pages was the practical maximum for form sizes. You could go a bit bigger than this, but the performance would degrade pretty fast.

As Jared stated before, for large forms, moving to version 8 is about your only realistic option.

Regards

Anthony Jereley

Indigo Pacific

www.indigopacific.com