Expand my Community achievements bar.

July 31st AEM Gems Webinar: Elevate your AEM development to master the integration of private GitHub repositories within AEM Cloud Manager.

JavaScript Prompt() or like.

Former Community Member
I would like to be able to prompt the user and have them enter values in a prompt box. How is this best handled?

I have looked at the Forms Guides and I don't think this is what I need but could be wrong. Can the forms guides be used to have the user respond to prompts based on a value chosen in a combo box?

I have look into xfa.host.prompt and there is nothing like this available. I know I can send a message box but I when them to enter a value.

Any help would be Appreciated.

Thanks, Leo Snetsinger
5 Replies

Former Community Member
You can definitely use Form Guides to guide the user through based on a value chosen in a combo box.

A feature of Form Guide is the "answer-based navigation" where you can add questions, and based on their response either prompt with another question or display a new panel in the Form Guide.

Start up the Guide Builder, then just have play around with the answer based navigation by clicking on the "New Panel", click "Set Properties" (only if the form's objects are displayed in the right hand window), then click on the "Specify answer-based navigation" panel.

The added benefit is that you get a really cool looking UI (instead of the boring old PDF).

Have fun!

John.

Former Community Member
There is an app.response object that can be used to ask the user a question. That is an AcroForm command but still can be used on an XFA form. Have a look at the Acrobat JavaScript Reference.

Former Community Member
John,

Thank You for your response.

I have been looking now at the forms guide documentation and getting very frustrated.

I use Live Cycle Designer with Adobe Professional. I purchased the ES upgrade.

Every time I read the documentation it brings up other products needed.

Ex:

Workbench ES

Adobe Flex Builder

Can Adobe Form Guides be done just using Guide Builder? Where do I find that documentation?

I downloaded some examples and there is no PDF? How can this be? When deployed will this be a PDF solution I can send to non tech savvy customers?

Thanks for the input.

Leo Snetsinger

Former Community Member
You don't need Flex Builder unless you want to customise the guide layouts, panel layouts or controls. You shouldn't need to really, Adobe provide enough to get you by for a simple form.

However, you do need Forms ES to render the Form Guides (this is a server side product). Workbench ES is the client side tool that is used to administer the processes you create to render the forms.

Sorry, I wasn't aware that you were just using Acrobat Professional and probably don't have Forms ES.

You are best to take Paul's advice.

John.