Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Interactive PDF to HTML

Former Community Member
Hi Everybody!

I've bought Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional some months ago and just started to use Adobe Livecycle Designer 8 (is it the same as Designer ES?) and I've managed to create an interactive pdf form with fillable fields.

Now on to my question.

The problem is that I haven't been able to find in the help section or on this forum how to convert this interactive pdf to HTML either through Livecycle or Acrobat 8. How could I do this and still have interactive fields intact and fillable in the html format?

Please don't hesitate to ask me to clarify my question if it's not clear in any way, I've tried to fix this problem myself for some hours in front of the computer and my eyes have become a little foggy :-)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

Jonas Emanuel
8 Replies

Level 6
You can render a PDF created using LiveCycle Designer using the LiveCycle ES Forms Service. This is a server-side run-time component, and it's priced for the enterprise market. I'm not aware of a design-time tool for converting to HTML.

Former Community Member
Hi Jared.

Thanks for your reply.

Is LiveCycle ES Forms Service part of the Adobe Livecycle Designer 8 included with Acrobat Professional 8? Or would I have to buy it separately?

How should I do to convert an interactive pdf to html with Livecycle ES Forms service? I would appreciate it very much if you could explain it to me in a step to step fashion.

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Jonas Emanuel

Level 6
LiveCycle ES Forms costs about 100 times as much as a copy of Acrobat Professional. If all you want to do with it is turn XDPs into (X)HTML at design time, I doubt that it's what you're looking for.

I'm interested to learn what you're trying to do. Why do you want to use LiveCycle Designer to create HTML forms? There are many tools intended for that purpose, but I wouldn't say that LiveCycle Designer is one of them.

Former Community Member
Hi Jared!

Thanks again for your quick reply.

What I'm trying to do is to make an interactive form in html which my customers could fill out and the information would then be sent to me in an email or to a database (using a PHP script).

The thing is that the interactive form is already finished in interactive PDF and therefore it would be much easier if I could just convert this to html directly, with the interactive fields working as well as maybe the submit to URL button which sends the results filled into the form.

I know that I could have a submit to email button in the PDF form, but I understand there would be some problems with just having the form sent to my email by my customers (since not everybody have a working email client installed).

Another reason for just not having it as PDf is that an interactive PDF form would require the very latest Adobe Reader, and I would want the form to work for all customers even though they're not using the latest Adobe Reader (or even reader at all!).

I'm new to creating such a form and I'm not familiar with other tools for creating html forms, could you give me any example of such other tools?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Jonas

Level 10

You can set the pdf up to submit to a web service instead of emailing, but that's about your only choice.

Level 6
Adobe Dreamweaver is an tool for developing web pages.

Level 1

... In other words, no one here knows how to convert a PDF Form into an HTML form....

amazing.  not much in the way of integration within the adobe suite.

Level 10

He was told how it is done using LiveCycle Forms but it costs boat loads of money.

Don't forget, most of the people posting here are users, not employees of Adobe.

If someone from Adobe is reading (or some entrepreneurial person), I think there's a need for a forms hosting service for people that can't afford the full server suite.