Highlighted

Image Field does not pick up updated/changed images

14-08-2008

I have just updated to CS3.

I am trying to achieve what appears to be a very simple task in LiveCycle Designer ES with an available feature, but it is not working.

I am effectively trying to merge images into image fields in a document.

I am creating a form in designer with Image Fields that point to generic filenames (001.jpg, 002.jpg etc).

I want to be able to place a bunch of images in a folder on a PC and have a user simply open the pdf and have the images display in the relevant fields on the form. I don't need or want to worry about linking using XML, OLE or Web Services. The form is simply sitting in a physical folder on a PC together with a bunch of images.

When I create an image field and then click on url to select an image, the location and file is populated in the url field (e.g .\001.jpg) and the current image displays on the form.

When I save this form and then open the PDF up, I see the image in the document. However, if I overwrite this image (001.jpg) in the same folder and open up the PDF, the original image still displays, rather than the newer image (with the same filename), which is what I was hoping to achieve. So the image file names will stay the same, but their contents will change. I am hoping to create a form that will refresh itself with whichever images happen to be in the folder.

As background:

Embed Image Data is unticked. I'm not sure if I need to worry about any binding options but I have set to Normal and Global, but this makes no difference.

I have also tried changing the image path from .\001.jpg to various UNC path formats, but this either comes up with errors on saving the form, or it makes no difference to the end result.

I rang support and they said that the function should work with this version and that I should either read the help file or post a message on the forum. I've read help, so I guess this is my last resort.

I thought this would be a very basic task for Livecycle, but it appears that I have either missed something, or there is some other problem.

Please help.

Thanks

Earl

Replies

Highlighted

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

18-08-2008

When you save the PDF the image is made part of the PDF. Each time the form loads it does not go out and reload the image file from the source. I prooved this by setting the image in the same way as you and then removed it from my file system. The image showed up fine in the pdf.
Highlighted

18-08-2008

Thanks for your response.

I understand that this is what is happening, but am surprised because this is an image "field". Field to me means that it can be fed by data. This is the behaviour that I would expect to happen with the image control, not the image field control.

Can you suggest how I can achieve the required result?
Highlighted

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

18-08-2008

If you export the data you will see that the image contents are part of the data file so I can argue that the field is working as advertised.

Do you have a server involved that is rendering the form? If not I do not think it can be done with client alone.
Highlighted

18-08-2008

No server involved.

It unfortunately appears to be a weak function.

What would be the simplest way to merge images into these fields?

Would I have to go to the effort of building a database of images in say MS Access and perform an OLE link? Can this be easily achieved with XML? I have no XML experience unfortunately.

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

19-08-2008

The easiest way is to have the images returned as base64 encoded images inside of a database call or a web service call. Then you can bind the output from those services directly to the image field and your images will appear.

Hope that helps
Highlighted

Han_Dao

Han_Dao

Han_Dao

06-08-2010

Hi Paul,

I am working on the form that is similar to this post and have a problem as well. You have mention: "to have the images returned as base64 encoded images inside of a web service call" Do you have an sample on how to have it done, can you please share. Or can you please explain little bit more on how to start it.

Thanks,

Han Dao

Highlighted

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

09-08-2010

I am assuming that you are using LC Server to construct the Web Service call. I simply retieve the image from the file system or repository (depending on where you stored it) and either of those services creates a document object. Then in a setValue operation you can assign the document object to a string variable that is marked as output. In that assignment you can use the Document functions that are provided and one of them converts the doc to a Base64 encoded string.

Thats all there is to it.

Paul

Highlighted

Han_Dao

Han_Dao

Han_Dao

11-08-2010

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I think I am still confusing here. Do you have an example that you can share? I am still using LC ES with SP3.

Han Dao

Highlighted

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

11-08-2010

I have one but it is for ES2 SP1. I do not think you will be able to import it. I will write out step by step instructions but I cannot get to it until tomorrow.

Paul