Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

I am new to Adobe Acrobat and my company recently purchased 8

Former Community Member
I am new to Adobe Acrobat and my company recently purchased 8.0 with livecycler. My problem is with livecycler you need to be familiar with xml, but i'm not. I want to have a form do calculations, just simple adding, but am not sure how i do it. Can someone point me in the right direction.
4 Replies

Former Community Member
You probably don't need as much experience with xml as you might think. There's a section in the Adobe help that comes with the program that will help you with calculations. If you're adding up fields within the same subform, try this:

Sum(field1,field2,field3)

This is formcalc, and should be used in the calculate event of the field you want the sum to appear in. If you need to add up fields in separate subforms (like fields that span multiple pages) it's a little tougher. In that case, you need to specify the path to each field, like:

Sum((xfa[0].form[0].form1[0].subform2[0].sub2[0].L53),(xfa[0].form[0].form1[0].subform3[0].sub1[0].L60),

(xfa[0].form[0].form1[0].subform3[0].sub2[0].L71),(xfa[0].form[0].form1[0].subform3[0].sub3[0].L78),

(xfa[0].form[0].form1[0].subform4[0].sub1[0].L98))

Here, the name of my form is form1, the subforms are named subform2, subform3 and subform4, and the field names are L53, L60, L71, L78 and L98. Note the double parentheses after Sum and at the end of the script. This is also formcalc, and would go into the same calculate event of the field you want the sum to appear in.

Former Community Member
I would go through the tutorials on this page

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/livecycle/getting_started.html

as well as the tutorials in the help documentation.

And, like David mentioned, look up FormCalc in the help. Its not that hard.

Mike

Former Community Member
" There's a section in the Adobe help that comes with the program that will help you with calculations. " Can someone please point me to this PROGRAM. I have to do some simple calculations, and have no experience with FORMCalc...it looks like total greek to me. I have look all over help; I just want something that gives me the code for add subtrac, divide, etc.

Deb

Level 6
On my system, the FormCalc documentation is at

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Designer 8.0\Documentation\EN\FormCalc.pdf