Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to integrate the XML data received via email in to MySQL

Former Community Member
Hi,

This is JK, my compnay is planning to adopt Adobe Livecycle Barcoded forms technology, We are planning to automate the Weekly report submission of the HR dept of my company, where the various employees from various branches will be submiting their weekly reports thru Barcoded forms via email and the data has to be fed in to a MySQL database for Analysis purpose.

The problem is, i have designed the form and tested it, when i fill out the form and submit it via email, i get a XML to the mentioneid email id, but is it possible to import the bulk amount of XML data received thru email to the MySQL database without using 3rd party XML Parser.

Does Adobe Livecycle supports any functionality where these data's after decoding or received thru email can directly be integrated in to MySQL.

Any Suggestions?

Regards,

JK
11 Replies

Former Community Member
HI JK,

Can you tell me if you are using Barcoded Forms or Reader Extensions?

Barcoded Forms technology is for people who plan on printing out their forms and then submitting them.

If your forms are Reader Extended (or all the client stations are Acrobat) instead of having your forms submit via email you could integrate them directly with your MySQL database through ODBC. Since this sounds like an internal forms project this should be fairly easy to setup. There are also options like WebServices or HTTP Posting.

Former Community Member
Hi Lee,

Thanks for the sugggestion.

We are planning to use both Barcode and Reader Extension, since we have remote branches with no email facility, and its not an internal project.

And one more doubt, since the reader extension server license is costing us a fortune, whether is it possible that i can just use the barcode technology for all the forms for the remmote users without using the reader extensions and i can decode it using the Adobe decoder.( if so whether the data decoded will be in plain format or encrypted format).

So is it possible that i can have a facility to import those XML data received thru email and those retreived thru decoding into MySQL.

Former Community Member
One thing that should be clear is that you do not need to purchase Reader Extensions to use Barcode Forms technology. Take a look at the 2 articles at the bottom of http://www.adobe.com/products/server/barcodedpaperforms/ they talk specifically about this issue.

However, if you do not get RE with your Barcoded Forms license your end users will not be able to save the form off-line or submit electronically (other than data-only by email). They will be able to fill-in and print the forms only.

By your post it sounds like you are getting Adobe LiveCycle Barcoded Forms and you have also licensed the decoder.

The decoder itself works with a watched folder mechanism. So what you can do is create a small Java program that simply waits for decoded output from the output directory of the decoder and then populates your MySQL database. The code should be around a day to implement.

Here is the link to the deployment article that talks about the RE requirement: http://www.adobe.com/products/server/barcodedpaperforms/pdfs/deploying_2d_barcodedpdfforms.pdf

Your Java will basically do something like this (very incomplete sample)

public class theThred extends Thread {

public void start() {

}

public void run() {

while (true) {

checkTheDirectoryCodeHere();

gotSomethingWriteItHere();

sleep(foreSomeNumberOfMilliseconds);

}

}

public void checkTheDirectoryCodeHere() {

Directory dir = new Directory("thePath");

}

}

Former Community Member
Hi Lee,

Thanks for the reply, now one part of my doubt is clear.

But the other still remains in tact, when i contacted my reseller they convinced me that i have a facility using which i can integrate the Adobe barcoded technology with MySQL directly, but till now i was not able to figure it out, so thats why i was bugging you with my queries.

Is there any such facility avialable or is it a misunderstanding between me and the reseller.

Former Community Member
Hi JK,

Whether you take the electronic route or the Barcode route you will need to do a little Java Programming.

If your forms are Reader Extended then you have the ability inside the PDF itself to communicate with a MySQL database through ODBC. Take a look around there Dev center on Adobe, there are a few good examples of this.

If you are only using Barcoded Forms then the forms will be filled-in and then printed and returned. These forms will be scanned by a document scanner and then passed on to the Adobe LiveCycle Barcoded Forms 7.0 ST decoder (ST means stand-alone). The decoder picks up the TIF or PDF image and then outputs the data into a separate folder. The decoder's job ends there.

What you need to do is create a program that waits for the output, reads and parses the data, and then inputs the data into your MySQL database. This is a pretty simply process.

Former Community Member
Hi

You can extract the data from a bar coded form using the bar code qpac's.you can then write the data to the database using the SQL qpacs by Avoka.Let me know if you need any more help on this

thanks

Former Community Member
Hi,

I had a look at the QPAC library provided by Avoka, but which kind of Library matches my exact requirement.

i.e. XML --> MySQL, Where i need to import data from the different XML files to corresponding tables.

If you are familiar with the price quote for the particular QPAC for my requirement can you send it to jkbytes@gmail.com.

Note: I was not able to get a purchase rate from AVOKA site for the XML import QPAC.

Former Community Member
Just a quick note in regards to the QPACS. If you purchased Adobe LiveCycle Barcoded Forms 7.0 ST, this is the "Stand Alone" version of the product and does not come with any QPACs as it works in a hot-folder environment. However, if you did purchase Adobe LiveCycle Barcoded Forms 7.0 along with Workflow then you should have access to all of the Barcoded Forms QPACs including the delimiter to XML and other QPACs that helps you bring Barcode data directly into your Workflow.

Former Community Member
Is there any other readily avialble tool, which can map and import the relational xml data in to mySQL. Any open source projects may be.

Former Community Member
One of the best data mappers I have seen is ItemField but it may be over-kill for what you are trying to do.

If you simply need a sample application that takes decoder output and puts it into MySQL send me an email and I'll send you a few (unsupported) sample programs.

Lee

lsutton@adobe.com

Former Community Member
ther e mail i am looking for is from a russian lady irlw777