Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to create a unique file name each time the form is saved?

Level 2
I've got a form with several data items. When the user saves the form, it saves it as an .xml file. So far so good. But then I want the user to be able to start over and put in a new data set. I used the reset form button and this clears out the old data. But when the user goes to save the form for the second set of data, the default name of the .xml file is the same as the last record set. How do I get LCD to create a unique data name each time the form is saved? I know that the user can enter a new name, but I do not want them to have to think that much.

Alternatively, is there a way that a user can enter several forms of data and save all of the data in one XML file that my PDF can scroll through or that I can import into excel and keep all of the data sets separate?
5 Replies

Former Community Member
You cannot name the file easily unless the user selects a filename.

The product will not combine the files together for you but you can do it yourself. Not sure if this is truely what you want though because each file represents a record (an occurance of the form). The form will only be able to display one occurance at a time.

Level 2
Thanks Paul for the post. It sounds like this program is simply not designed for one user to keypunch a batch of forms. It would appear to limit the program's use to users who only need to key in one record/form. While a good solution for multiple users who need to enter just one set of data, the limitation would explain why this program is not widely used.

Level 2
There are some posts that discuss how to SaveAs with filename generated from a form field and date/year at:

http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/aucbb/viewtopic.php?id=16903

Also, Response files collected in Acrobat 9 can generate PDF Portfolios, which is a package of PDF pages with all your data.

Former Community Member
Lkassuba has a good point you may want to look at the "Distribute Form" functionality as it will allow you to send out the form and collect the replies into a single portfolio. You can then load the response that you want or simply compare answers as if they were in a spreadsheet. You can also export the data into csv, xml etc. if you wish.

Level 2
Thanks, I'm am going to try the code posted first.