Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

How to create a .ini file using Adobe LC designer

Level 2
Hi,

I have got a requirement where customers fill in forms in which Address details is the common one. So, is there any way so that we can store the default address in the local machine and then whenever customer is in need of that address, he just needs to click on restore address button and the address should be filled in automatically.

Note: In Jet form filler, it creates .ini file in Mydocuments folder on the local machine to store the address.

Thanks in Advance.
11 Replies

Former Community Member
You can create a data file (xml) and import that but the user will have to choose the file. You cannot programmatically import data without user intervention. Note that the data file will have to be on every users machine or on a shared drive that all users can get at.

Level 2
Unlike Paul said, you actually can automatically import data.

Due to default security policies Acrobat/Reader won't allow you to gain access the local file system. To by pass this you need to sign your document and this signature should be trusted by your users.

I have done such approach, but believe me: this signing stuff can cause some headaches!

Level 2
Thanks for your replies.

I will try both the things and as per the feasability, i will implement them.

Level 2
Hi Paul,

If possible can u send me a sample file which includes the steps how to create a data file and how a use selects the file. I have an idea in my mind regarding creating the data file using the method 'export data' . Is this the right way to do that. Pls suggest

Former Community Member
No sample is required ..... the data fiel is created automatically for you and is based on the structure of the design (if none is implied with a data connection). To get the data out of the form you can use a button that has this code on the click event:

xfa.host.exportData();

When th euser clicks the button a dialog will appear allowing th euser to select a location for the file. Note that it will save it as an XDP (XML Data Package) file, but it is simply XML. There are a number of parameters that you can pass to the command that will allow you to save as XML directly. You can look that up in the Help files.

Level 2
Thanks Paul for your valuable suggestions

Former Community Member
Keep in mind that if you are just using Adobe Reader, exportData() will not work, but importData() does work like Edgar says.

Level 2
Hi Paul,

Could you please let us know how to create a xml data file locally. My requirement is i have 6 fields in form and when i click save button, the data in the fields entered bu user should be saved locally and when user needs it, he should be able to retreive the same data. As user may store many times, so each time when he saves the data, seperate file should be created locally. Pls suggest. This is very important requriement for us now.

Level 7
The user would generally need Acrobat (not Reader), and can save the

form to any file name they like, then re-open later.

Aandi Inston

Level 2
Hi, I am using Adobe LiveCycle designer ES version and saving the form in PDF dyanamic version. Launching the pdf in Acrobat Professional 8 version. Pls let me know if you need anymore details.