Expand my Community achievements bar.

How do I render a xdp in browser (IE)

Former Community Member
I have an XDP file (data with pdf references) on a local web server and I would like to be able to render the PDF (with the data) with Acrobat Reader within my browser (Internet Explorer). In the browser it just shows the xml of the XDP file when I use the url http://localhost/webservice/Forms/test.xdp

How do I do this?

Thanks
7 Replies

Former Community Member
I believe you need LiveCycle Form Server to do this.

Carl

www.pdftrain.com

Former Community Member
You need to set the MIME type for *.xdp to "application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml". Check your web server configuration for how to do this. This will cause Acrobat to launch the XDP file.

The XDP file that Acrobat launches can't be a full XDP file - it needs to include a reference to a PDF file to use as the form, but the XDP can include the data that will be used to populate the form. There's information on this works in the XFA specification.

--

SteveX

Adobe Systems

Level 3

Hi , you will may be found my question stupid but where do I change the MIME type ?

Thanks

Level 1

The MIME type configuration would be part of the web server - what web server are you using?

Former Community Member
Stevex,

When I try to display the xdp in the browser ( I change the contenttype and write the xdp xml to the Response ), it displays the download dialog box and upon clicking open, it displays the rendered pdf in a new window. Is there a way to open this in the same window ( I already have the content-disposition set to inline, but that didn't do it )?

Also, when I open a PDF from windows explorer, the PDF opens in Adobe Reader ( I've set it to do this in the Folder Options ), but when the process described above happens, the new PDF is displayed in Adobe Acrobat Professional. Any idea why this is happening?

Tom S.

Level 7

Adobe has discouraged having both Reader and Acrobat installed on the same system because of this problem. Each product want to be the default appliction for opening a PDF document. You might be able to modify the preferences in each application and set the option for IE intergration and primary PDF appliction. You also might have to edit the Registry entries for these applications, but an update may reset them.

Level 6

is Display PDF in Browser option enabled(adobe reader>edit>internet>web browser options)?