Expand my Community achievements bar.

July 31st AEM Gems Webinar: Elevate your AEM development to master the integration of private GitHub repositories within AEM Cloud Manager.

Help - Digital Signature Field Issue

Former Community Member
Hi,

I encountered some issues when designing a workflow process that needs digital signature

Intro:

1. Initiator signed on Signature field A

2. Manager reviewed the form & signed on Signature field B

Issue 1:

The initiator signed the form on Signature field A, and then the signature icon (a pen with questionmark "?") appears on top of signature. From the tooltip it's not verified yet.

Hence, initiator right clicked it and verified it. The icon changed to a green tick with exclamation mark and right after that it changed back to the previous icon again(a pen with questionmark "?").

How to remain "verified" status?

Issue 2:

The form is still then passed to Manager after initiator submitted. The Manager now suppose to sign the form on Signature field B but error message prompted out when trying to sign!

|--------------------------------------------------------------|

Message box:

The document could not be signed.

There was an error when attempting to commit this signature.

The document was not saved.

A file error has occurred.

Anyone faced this before? Any ideas?
13 Replies

Former Community Member
Hello -

Firstly - can I assume that you are using a document variable to propagate the data from one step to another in the workflow? Also - are you using Form Designer to build this form?

I haven't experienced your particular issue - I am not a form expert - but I do suggest you post the signature related issues to the form designer forum. Perhaps there is something wrong with your form or something to do with the type of Signatures you are using.

Secondly, when a form with a signature is signed a second time the first signature will indicate that something has changed on the Form - specifically the second signature field.

Also - there were some bugs in certain versions of Acrobat where a Signature field would show a change on the form on the second step of a workflow even though there was no such change. The signature field was still valid in this case but it had an exclamation mark on it. The issue was that the submit was modifying somewhitespace in the data, and I believe this was addressed in one of the Acrobat 7 dot releases.

Will@Adobe

Former Community Member
1.) Is this a Reader Extended PDF?

2.) Are you utilizing Form Manager to access the work item?

I have encountered this error when using a specific version of Reader Extensions and Form Manager, however I find it somewhat strange that the initial person is able to sign but the subsequent user is presented with this message.

Is the form that the "Manager" utilizes the same as the initial form?

Val@Adobe

Former Community Member
Hi all,

For your information:

1. The form .xdp is designed by using Adobe LiveCycle Designer 7.1.

2. Form Manager is being utilized for this workflow.

3. The workflow contains 1 form only. It needs to be signed by both initiator and the manager on different signature fields.

4. I'm using Document Variable to pass the form.

Added Information for issues mentioned:

Issue 1

The initiator signed the form on Signature field A, and then the signature icon (a pen with questionmark "?") appears on top of signature. From the tooltip it's not verified yet.

Hence, initiator right clicked it and verified it. The icon changed to a green tick with exclamation mark and right after that it changed back to the previous icon again(a pen with questionmark "?").

How to remain "verified" status?

The case is whenever it's been verified(by right click and verified it), it will become verified for not more than 1 second and immediately it changed back to "is not verified", no matter how many times the initiator tried to verify the signature.)

Issue 2:

The form is still then passed to Manager after initiator submitted. The Manager now suppose to sign the form on Signature field B but error message prompted out when trying to sign!

Message box:

The document could not be signed.

There was an error when attempting to commit this signature.

The document was not saved.

A file error has occurred.

When the manager got the signing error, he then cleared the initiator's signature(right click and clear) , and then he is able to sign on both signature fields! And both signature are not verified (with the signature icon-a pen with questionmark"?").

I don't why the manager can sign now.

Quote Will's

"Secondly, when a form with a signature is signed a second time the first signature will indicate that something has changed on the Form - specifically the second signature field.-by Will"

but now the form with a signatuer cannot even be signed for second time. As the error message prompt whenever the manager tries to sign on the signature field B.

Former Community Member
Hi,

Thanks for helping. Here're the sample form & workflow I designed.

(Right click it and Save)

Form - ClaimForm.xdp

WorkFlow - ClaimRequest.xml

Former Community Member
This is my sample output when the manager's trying to sign the documnet:

Scenario: The initiator signed and then the document was passed to the manager. The manager logged on to Form Manager and opened this work item, and clicked on the signature field on the right:

And then the manager clicked "Sign":

So the manager clicked "OK". Nothing is signed.

Former Community Member
Hi Leia,

Are you leveraging Acrobat or Reader and which version?

When you are testing this functionality are you using the same machine with the same version of Acrobat|Reader for both users?

I've deployed and tested your sample files and I am able to successfully sign as the initiator and as the manager.

I logged a bug awhile ago based on the following:

When using Reader 7.05 I experience no issues when attempting to sign with my self-sign signature.

When using Reader 7.05, I am presented with the same error you identify when attempting to sign the same document.

Again, are you using Reader Extensions and if so what version?

Cheers,

Val@adobe

Former Community Member
Hi Val,

Which version are u using when u logged a bug again? bcoz you mentioned 7.0.5 for both results you got in previous reply.

Are you leveraging Acrobat or Reader and which version?

Ans: I'm using Acrobat Professional 7.0.7.

When you are testing this functionality are you using the same machine with the same version of Acrobat|Reader for both users?

Ans: Yes, using the same machine and same version of Acrobat for both users.

Are you using Reader Extensions and if so what version?

Ans: I'm not using Reader Extensions so far.

About Issue 1, I had already removed a field that causing the signature not verified problem (bcoz the field causes data changes every after signing and verifying). So for now just leave it and i'm fixing my issue 2.

Once again thanks for helping!

Former Community Member
Hi Leia,

Terribly sorry for the typo, I was experiencing issues when I leveraged Reader 7.05 and I had Reader Extended the PDF with RES 7.01.

When I tested the files you posted I was using Acrobat 7.05 and I was successful. I entered a date and signed the form as the initiator, submitted and opened the form as the manager and signed. I kept it very simple but I am not sure if you are entering data into other fields to just keeping it to the basic's until the second signature is functioning properly.

As Will eluded to, there was a bug that caused the signature to appear invalid. I just want to clarify your last message about removing a troublesome field, did you remove the first signature? Are you successful signing the second field after this removal?

I'm wondering:

* What type of signature technology are you utilizing?

* Are you using the same signature for both users?

I'm sorry for all the questions, unfortunately I am still unable to reproduce your error.

Cheers,

Val@adobe

Former Community Member
Sorry for confusing you. The xdp file you downloaded is the latest version, that is the one after I removed the troublesome field(contains calculation script).

What do you mean by "signature technology"? for example?

Former Community Member
Hi Leia,

This would lead me to believe that the calculation script was the culprit with your errors trying to sign...

1.) What event was the script associated with?

2.) Were you successful signing as both the initiator and the manager on the form that you posted?

Cheers,

Val@Adobe

Former Community Member
Hi,

We ran into the same issue as well (digital signature inside form manager with workflow using document variable, but have managed to found a workaround for this. Basically what we did, is to reapply the reader extensions rights before each of the user qpac step. This will allow the user to apply additional signatures on the same form. (Resolves issue 2)

Not elegant, but it works.

Note, we created a simple scenario without any script, and all digital sig fields can be signed without any errors. So there's some incompatibility issue between signature rights and the scripts.

Hopefully this helps others running into the same issue.

David Liao

davidl @ ensemble.com

www.ensemble.com

Former Community Member
I am having a different issue and maybe I'm just confused.

I read somewhere that I can scan a picture of my signature (in jpg or btm etc) and then create a digital signature in adobe from it.

I would like to me able to sign some of these documents this way, where no one is able to copy and paste it somewhere else. Is there a way to do this without going to a company to create it?

Hiral

Former Community Member
Hi Hiral:

What you are describing seems to be satisified by the Acrobat digital signatures capability.

In Acrobat Professional, under Advanced > Security Settings, select to add a new digital ID. Afte you have finish creating a digital ID, you can use this ID to sign a document. When signing the document, click on show options. Create a new signature appearance, here you can embed an image file into your digital signature. The image should not be copyable.

Cheers

David

www.ensemble.com