Expand my Community achievements bar.

Getting Multiple Value using SQL QPAC

Former Community Member
Hi,

I just want to know is it possible to fire a query which will return multiple value using SQL QPAC ex (select name from emp where salary>5000).

If yes how we can store this value in variable and show into our Form.

Thanks in Advance

Abhishek
7 Replies

Level 9
Hi

You can't do this with the standard SQL qpac, which only returns the first row it finds. You can do this with our SQLPlus qpac, which you can download from our web site.

The way to do it is to concatenate the values into a single hidden field, and then use a bit of Javascript code to populate a dropdown. The standard workflow "Action" drop down does exactly this.

Regards,

Howard

http://www.avoka.com

Former Community Member
Hi Howard,

Is this SQL QPAC is free ?

Or is it part of Adobe LiveCycle workflow SDK ?

Can we use it for real time project or this is beta version ?

Regards

Abhishek

Level 9
Hi Abhishek

It's free for development and testing use, but you do have to pay for it if you want to use it in production. The license agreement and pricing is on the web site.

It is currently a production level (not beta) product.

As one of our most populate QPACs, it does tend to get enhanced on a regular basis.

Howard

Former Community Member
Do you mean, we can't use multiple rows that return from a sql query unless we buy the avoca's qpac ?

Does noone have an idea or suggest a way about this problem ?

How can we extract multiple rows to bind to our dynamic form ?

Level 9
Hi Guvenc

One of the reasons why LiveCycle Workflow is such a brilliant product is that it is 100% extensible. Rather than try to build everything into the product (you can never achieve this, no matter how hard you try), Adobe gave us a bunch of core features, including all the PDF-specific QPACs, and some other core QPACs. They also gave us a very simple way of extending the product to do just about anything. So you can look at any workflow design, and have a very high level of confidence that you're going to be able to build it with Adobe Workflow, because if it doesn't do it with components in the box, you can either write your own or access the third-party market in components. In my opinion, this is the single most powerful feature of the Workflow Product - it's infinitely extensible.

In fact, you shouldn't assume that Adobe ships Workflow with everything you need to build any workflow you can imagine. The exact opposite is true - to build any moderately complex workflows, you almost undoubtably WILL need to either build or buy additional QPACs. This is not a negative - the fact that you can buy or build additional components is a huge benefit. All of the QPACs we've built (around 50 at last count) were built directly to solve some customer's requirements.

This is exactly like building user interfaces in Visual Basic or Delphi or Swing - there are some basic components that the vendor provides, but you can also write your own components, or buy components from third party vendors.

So you actually have several options:

- You can build your own QPAC to do the database query you need. (Adobe thoughtfully provide a QPAC Development Environment to help you doing this.)

- You can purchase the Avoka one.

- You can try to find some other way to solve your problem (although I'm not aware of any way).

I suspect that buying the Avoka QPAC will be substantially more cost-effective than trying to write your own - the SQLPlus QPAC is our most sophisticated QPAC, and represents many months of development work. But the decision is obviously yours.

I hope this helps...

Regards,

Howard

http://www.avoka.com

Former Community Member
Hi Howard,

I can understand and appreciate your hardwork to develop a good qpac to make things easy. The point I can't understand is that how adobe workflow is not capable of successing such a necessary and major deal like processing multiple rows that return from an sql query. In my opinion, they can't leave such a blank in the workflow designer side or they shouldn't. That is the reason why I question and search for a way which is different from just buying the Avoka qpac.

I am new to Adobe Livecyle and I haven't seen a solution yet. May be there are some other people to develop their own way.

Former Community Member
Go ahead and check the following website. You could get Free QPAC that brings multiple records with a custom delimiter.

http://www.syndromesoft.com/adobe_livecycle_qpac_ContentPage.faces

J Hong