Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Future Mac XServe 10.5 Support

Former Community Member
Hi all,

I am trying to plan our expenses and as our company runs Mac XServe Servers, I am wondering if anyone knows if Adobe is planning to release the preview version of LiveCycle on the Mac OS X 10.5 Server platform.

We are developing an RIA that makes use of Flex among other technologies and really don't want to have to switch platforms just to make use of LiveCycle. Any help would be greatly appreciated (and would cut my stress level down a bit.) :D

-coreyb
5 Replies

Former Community Member
Hello Corey,

The LiveCycle server products do not support the MacOS and there are no plans to do so in the near future. I apologise that we do not support your primary platform of choice, it is simply a matter of our current focus on enterprises that tend not to have very much Apple hardware in their data centers and the expense of adding additional platforms. We review our platform support periodically and the MacOS is not in the first couple we would add in priority order. So rather then holding out I would recommend looking at our platform support list for your second choice, hopefully we will do a better job of accommodating your needs there.

Our platform support list is available here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_lc_prepareInstall see page 8 to 13.

Two bits of information I would like to get from you that would help inform our future decision making is could you send to me your preferred Java Application Server and Database selections. Thus when we review the platform the next time we can ensure to take into account what you really need in its entirety.

Kind Regards C

Chris de Groot

Senior Product Manager

Former Community Member
Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me. You have saved me a lot of heartburn over he next few months wondering about our planning.

As for our platform of choice we are running Mac OS X XServes with XServe Raids, JBoss, Tomcat, and MySQL 5+. Our second choice is Redhat, but honestly, I think with OS X falling into line with SUSv3 and POSIX, you guys might want to re-think Macs placement on the list.

-Coreyb

Former Community Member
Hi Corey,

Thanks for the information.

As a follow on question I have to then ask what your plans are around the design time tools. LiveCycle Workbench ES has some MS Windows only components such as the Designer ES. Because of this the Workbench ES is a Windows product. Does this limitation work in your plans or would you also need the design time tooling to be on the Mac?

Thanks C.

Chris de Groot

Senior Product Manager

Former Community Member
Hi Chris,

That is funny you ask, I was just wondering what the development platforms for Workbench were. Our teams develop solely on Mac. We have found it to be a faster development environment for web based languages (and just about everything else). We do run Windows through Parallels for testing and a few hard to find apps, but only on a few select machines.

-Coreyb

Former Community Member
Hi Chris,

I just want to add my name to Corey's in requesting future support for LiveCycle ES on Mac OSX. I'm a research assistant at the Glasgow School of Art (Scotland) and am currently putting together a funding proposal for the next stage of an ongoing research project. Whilst we are not commited to any particular setup yet, our strong preference would be to go for an Xserve configuration similar to the one described by Corey (to complement our expanding fleet of Mac Pros).

With the the growing influence/importance of Design being recognised across all industries, I genuinely feel a tipping point is on its way (particularly in the Manufacturing and Scientific domains) whereby OSX becomes the prefered platform (I'm a former IBM employee btw). Case in point, at the recent 'Scotch on the Rocks' (ColdFusion & Flex) conference in Edinburgh... almost everyone had switched to a Mac!

Cheers for now,

Andy McDonald