Expand my Community achievements bar.

ERROR: Bad Value: 'f3 of the use attribute of font element'

Former Community Member
Hi, I designed a static PDF form with a few text fields all with ARIAL font.. When opening in Reader, whenever i set focus to a field, I get the following popup window:

Bad Value: 'f3 of the use attribute of font element'. Default will be used instead

Would anyone happen to know what this is caused by? This does not happen on other similar forms so it's hard to find out the reason

Thank you in advance
1 Reply

Former Community Member
Go to the 'XML Source' tab. Somewhere in there (near the top) you may see some font prototypes <br />defined, as follows:<br /><br /> <proto><br /> <font id="f0" size="7pt" typeface="Arial-MT" weight="bold"/><br /> <font id="f1" size="5.9pt" typeface="Arial-MT" weight="bold"/><br /> <font id="f2" size="8.7pt" typeface="Arial-MT" weight="bold"/><br /> <font id="f3" size="5.2pt" typeface="Arial-MT" weight="bold"/><br /> ....<br /> ....<br /><br />These prototypes are referred to by your various form elements to simplify things. So, rather than <br />storing the entire set of font information with each text field, the field need only refer to the <br />font prototype. For example:<br /><br /> <draw name="T119" x="11.5873mm" y="91.4778mm"><br /> <value><br /> <text>Equipment</text><br /> </value><br /> <ui><br /> <textEdit><br /> </textEdit><br /> </ui><br /> <font use="#f1"/><br /> </draw><br /><br />In your case, you probably have a field with <font use="#f3"/>, but the prototype definition for <br />'f3' no longer exists for some reason. Search through the xml for 'f3' and clean it up.<br /><br />-- <br />Justin Klei<br />Cardinal Solutions Group<br />www.cardinalsolutions.com