Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Dynamic Text Fields

Former Community Member
Please can anyone help? I need to create a PDF form where the text field will expand / collapse depandant on the amount of information entered into the field. All information entered into the field must be visable on the document (+ sign no good)and have the facility to be printed.
10 Replies

Level 7
User LiveCycle Designer and save the form as a Dynamic Form and use multi line text fields.

Former Community Member
I have tried this, it allows me to enter as much data as i like however there is a plus sign which need to be clicked in order to view the rest of the data. I need the actual box to expland to show all data when the field is not selected.

Former Community Member
Kelly,

Besides checking the box for Allow Multiple Lines, you will also need to check the box for Limit Length to Visible Area (to get rid of the plus sign). If you do this, once you exit the text box all of the data will show.

If the data will be rather lengthy, you may need to look into using a flowed subform to contain the text box so the data can flow onto additional pages.

Level 1

i tried the above option using iText (have designed forms using adobe livecycle designer) for passing values at runtime..but doesnt seem to work.

Former Community Member

Hi,

I think the key setting that you are missing is 'Expand to fit' checkbox in Layout property of the text field. This will increase the height of the text field based on the content height.

This is what I do on a text field: Allow multiple lines and Allow page breaks within content in Object tab, select Expand to fit in Layout tab, set Caption and Content alignment in Paragraph.

Example is attached with this.

hope this helps.

Parth Pandya

Blog:http://livecyclekarma.wordpress.com

Level 1

I tried the below option (checked all multiple lines and allow page breaks within content in Object tab, selected Expand to fit in Layout tab for my text field) but didnt work (the output pdf had the text trimmed, text came only till the text field width defined in designer -its not expanding truely). I'm trying this in LiveCycle Designer 8.2.x (trial version) and iText as part of poc. 

Former Community Member

K let me guess!! 80% of the time this turns out to be due to file being saved as Static PDF. Try saving that file with another name as Dynamic PDF and see if that makes it to work.

BTW - Did you try my sample pdf file? Does it work for you?

Level 1

I wasnt able to download your pdf file (i just see the file name and icon beside it). It says queued but there isnt any link i notice( sorry for my ignorance)...

can you please send it to my email id (rams.rapo@gmail.com).

Thank you very much.

Level 1

And other thing i notice with making my form as dynamic is the pdf generated by iText has just the below information (all my template data and run time values are lost). It says even after installing the software mentioned in below link.

To view the full contents of this document, you need a later version of the PDF viewer. You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader from www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html For further support, go to www.adobe.com/support/products/acrreader.html

Level 1

I would like to be able to create a PDF form where the text field will expand / collapse dependent on the amount of information entered into the field. All information entered into the field must be visable on the document (+ sign no good) and have the facility to be printed.

I also need to have the static text adjust either up or down beneath the dynamic text field. Is this possible?

Anyone know?