Expand my Community achievements bar.

Doubt about FormServer

Former Community Member
Hi,

I have what may seem a silly question but i'm not sure about the answer.

If someone wants to use formserver in order to let users access some PDF forms on the web, fill them and then submit them back to the services, do i really need Reader Extensions (just for a simple PDF without any connectivity to webservices or database)?

I just asked because i have not understood completely where is the boundary between "only use formserver" and "formserver + reader extensions" ?

For what i think, Reader extensions is only needed when you want the user to download the file into his computer and then use it. But, when the PDF Form is only to use on the web browser, there's no need for Reader extensions. Is that it ?

TIA,

Rui
6 Replies

Former Community Member
Hi Rui,

Depending on what you use to:

>...let users access some PDF forms on the web, fill them and then submit them back to the services...

If you use Acrobat Reader then you must have the forms "Reader Extensions Enabled" thus you need Reader Extensions. If you use the full Acrobat product to do this, you don't need Extensions to enable functionality in the Acrobat Reader.

I hope this makes sense to you

thanks

George

Former Community Member
It depends...

1) Submit from browser, or on the user's desktop as an XML, but without the need to save the data locally - don't need reader extensions.

2) Submit from browser, or on the user's desktop as an XDP or PDF, with or without the need to save the data locally - need reader extensions.

3) Submit from browser, or on the user's desktop as an xml with the need to save the data locally - need reader extensions.

Note, if you do not have a need to prepopulate the data, and the data is coming in as direct XML, you dont even need form server.

David

www.ensemble.com

Former Community Member
Hi,

Many thanks for your thoughts. They cleared some cloudy ideas that i had.

Thanks a lot,

Rui

Former Community Member
Hi,

I want to open a pdf on browser fill the pdf fields from c#. I tried the sample BasicIacCS,FillFormCS from Adobe 8 sample kit, the sample works for windows application but does not work when tried with the web application pls help... don't know where to start

regards

swathi

Former Community Member
Hi swathim

If you want to try something with .NET platform and Livecycle Forms, try the sample available at http://www.smartdoctech.com/articles.aspx

I don't know if that's exactly what you want but it should be a start to get you going ...

By the way, where did you find those samples that you stated above ?

Cheers,

Rui

Former Community Member
Hi

Thanks for the suggestion using adobe live cycle i tried that also but in thecode it says i need to replace the following code

//you need modify the path below with your own Adobe Forms

formServer.setSoapEndPoint("http://formserver:9080/FormServerWS/services/AdobeFSService");

i don't know exactly about adobe forms server and how to set that up.

On adobe site you can search for adobe 8 sdk

Pls let me know if u have any idea on setting up adobe form server

thanks

swathi