Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Designer ES crashes when trying to open/save file

Former Community Member
I just installed LiveCycle Designer ES (8.1.1.2188.1.406459) as a standalone application from a licensed CD on Windows XP.

When I try to "save" or "open" a file Designer crashes.

The standard windows "open" or "save as" dialog box will display for a few seconds and then the entire application disappers.

I have worked with my tech support contacts for several days with no resolution. This error causes Designer to be totally unusable.

Anyone have any solutions?

Thanks, Greg
10 Replies

Former Community Member
Have they had you try to uninstall it and reinstall it? (Turning of antivirus first)

Former Community Member
Hie Greg,

Did you find a solution for this problem? Because I have the same problem when I save a form. I tried to uninstall an reinstall LiveCycle Designer ES but it change nothing.

Thanks in advance

Caroline

Former Community Member
Hi All,

Finally I found something. I don't know if it's work all time but when I change directly in the XML Source what I wanted to change (it was a JS Script), it worked.

Level 1

I'm having the same issue when attempting to save my file. The worst part is that it will actually ZERO OUT the existing file, so I have no repeatable way of saving my work. Here's some additional information: This is a five page Adobe XML Dynamic form.

Application: Adobe LiveCycle Designer ES  Version 8.2.1.3144.1.471865

Platform: Windows XP SP 3

Former Community Member

Does it happen with every file or just that one file. If it is the one file can you post it so we can try it and see if it is the file or your environment?

Paul

Level 1

Thanks, Paul. I've been building this form for over a week and did not encounter the crash/truncating issue until yesterday (and it only seems to be occuring with this specific form.) I ran into this twice, both times after building the fifth page of the form (my baseline version is through 4 pages.) I will attempt to narrow this issue down so that it can be recreated, but it will take some time as I will have to make a backup of the form periodically to avoid losing the file. I'm guessing this issue is either caused by the content comprising the form itself, or possibly that Designer has hit some sort of memory threshold.

One other thought, I'm saving the file as a Dynamic XML form (PDF), would it be a better idea to store it as an XDP?

Former Community Member

So we have determined that it is just that one file. Look at the XML tag and scroll through the file .....see if there is a line repeated over and over again ...something like this:

<?templateDesigner StyleID aped3?>

Paul

Former Community Member

That is the problem ...can you post the PDF ....I will clean it and send it back to you. This issue is fixed in the latest service packs.

Paul

Level 1

Thanks, I appreciate it. I sent you a private message, is it OK if I email you the form directly? And I will make sure my team has installed the latest service patches to prevent this issue from surfacing again.