Expand my Community achievements bar.

data connection to an external file vian an include...

Former Community Member
creating a simple schema which references another simple schema via an include statement:

for example:

even though the file exists on the local drive always gives the warning when a new data connection is made to the calling schema of:

"external file: "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\schemas\test\test1\test1.xsd" does not exist...

Is this a bug? Surely I should be able to reference a local schema present on the local hard drive?

Help?
12 Replies

Former Community Member
Can you post the files somewhere that we can look at them?

Mike

Mike Potter

Adobe Enterprise Developer Relations

Former Community Member
Hi,

If you copy the url below into your browser - you can download two schema's "test1 and test2.xsd" which are zipped into "test.zip" which highlight the problem.

test2 contains an "include" to test1 which is located on my local file system - you can change the file location reference to your own settings... Anyway - when I try to form a data connection to test2 it gives me the error message described above. Please let me know if you want the example files by a different route...

http://www.brainit.org/bf01/brainit/brainit/downloads/software/schema/test.zip

Former Community Member
I seem to be having problems with absolute file paths, but relative ones are not a problem.

I'll ask around here and try to find a reason. Perhaps someone else has some experience here?

Mike

Mike Potter

Former Community Member
Hi Mike,

I tried the relative path approach - this time it did not give me an error message but designer still did not make a data connection to my referenced (included) schema (test2) - only the original schema (test1).

My designer version is 7.0 - should I have an update or patch? If so, can you send me a link?

Former Community Member
I am running Designer 7.1, but I thought that this feature was working in Designer 7.0 as well. I'll see if I can find someone with Designer 7 around here and get them to test it out.

The upgrade to Designer 7.1 is a paid upgrade. I believe the price is $29 US. It should be available from the Adobe online store today. However, if you're a member of the Adobe Enterprise Developer Program, you can download a developer licensed copy of Designer 7.1 from http://partners.adobe.com/asn/main.do

Mike

Mike Potter

Former Community Member
Hi, I went to the site you suggested but it only shows 7.0 to download? I have only just recently (last 2 weeks) bought Acrobat 7.0 pro which included Designer 7.0... How do I upgrade to 7.1? It isn't clear to me where I do this.

I want to make sure that what I am trying to do is possible...

When you say you got my "test2.xsd" data connection to work on 7.1 - did you see both the test1 and the test2 "seq"'s? What I expected to see is test1 to contain two sequences (as seperate drop down lists) which contained the elements from test 1 "ABC" and from test2 "wyz"? Is this what you see? Now with the relative include statement it doesn't object to the include statement but I still don't see the data elements from test1?

Former Community Member
The Adobe LiveCycle Designer 7.1 upgrade can be purchased from the Adobe store at http://store.adobe.com/store/products/master.jhtml?id=catFormDesignerUpg<br /><br />Yes, I see / saw both seqs with the relative include statement. Here's what I did:<br /><br />Changed include in test2.xsd to <xs:include schemaLocation="test1.xsd"/><br />Put them in the same directory.<br />New Form -> New Data Connection -> test2.xsd<br />In left hand "Data View", drag and drop "Data Connection" onto the form.<br />In form, two fields get created: Seq1 and TestVal1. <br />Switch to PDF Preview, both are populated, one with abc and the other with zyw.<br />The resulting XML looks like:<br /><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><test2><seq1>b</seq1><test1><testVal1>w</testVal1></test1></test2><br /><br />Mike<br /><br />Mike Potter<br />Adobe Enterprise Developer Relations

Former Community Member
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your help. I followed your instructions to the letter. But it still only sees seq1 (Test2). This must be a 7.0 bug.

I tried to go to the link to upgrade to 7.1 as you suggested but this is only for the American market and I am told to go to an international reseller. The links to UK resellers (I am in Glasgow, Scotland) are all broken.

As you can imagine I am now starting to get really Pissed off. I have just spent well over $500 on software which does not do the one thing I need it to do for a deadline Monday. It seems the solution lies in an upgrade which I can't seem to access (which I would willingly pay by credit card). I appreciate you are doing your best to help, but this is not good business.

I run a voluntary international research group for advancing therapy for treating head injury victims (www.brainit.org) . I am trying to help others. Can someone please try to help me help others?

Sorry for the rant.

Ian

Former Community Member
Ian:

I've emailed you to work out how we can help you out. Feel free to continue this discussion by email.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Potter

Former Community Member
Ian:

I sent this on to Chris Trubiani in Enterprise Developer Support, and he got it working. He said there was a small spelling error that he fixed (found it using XMLSpy).

I'll attach the two files to this thread.

Mike

Mike Potter

Former Community Member
Just to add what Mike said, I got it to work in Designer 7.1. It does not work in 7.0.

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support