Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Data Connection Documentation

Former Community Member
Where can I find good documentation on data connections? I found a couple (like the purchase one going around) but it seems like using FormCalc is limited. I would like to use the Data Connection to create record sets and populate fields based off of user input or dropdowns. I would also like to update and add to databases.
2 Replies

Former Community Member
Unfortunately, there isn't a single source that I would call the "definitive" data connection resource for LC Designer. I would suggest using information from the following resources at your disposal:

• These forums. There are lots of examples here on data connections and some Adobe personnel along with many other very knowledgeable customers providing answers.

• The
    Working with Data Sources help topic in LC Designer Help.

• Data Connection samples found on the
    Adobe LiveCycle Designer Samples page.

• My personal favorite: Looking at the JavaScript code in the Initialize event of the Data List Box object found in the Library palette's Custom tab (drag one on to a form and look through it's Initialize event code using the Script Editor).

If you have a specific question about a problem you're trying to solve using Data Connections in LC Designer, please post to a thread in this forum. We'll be happy to help you solve it.

Stefan

Adobe Systems

Former Community Member
A good reference is the XFA Specification; it has a section called Data Description and Connection Set that can provide some reference to help understand the examples.

You can find the it online here:

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/xml/xfapecification_2.2_draft.pdf

--

SteveX

Adobe Systems