Expand my Community achievements bar.

Can PolicyServer restrict no. of times of Print?

Former Community Member
- Is there a way to restrict no. of times a document can be printed? Currently, only can restrict print or allow print
9 Replies

Former Community Member
I just got back from a seminar on Policy Server and the presenter (from Adobe) said this can't be done. You can track the number of times a doc is printed, or restrict it, like you said.

It would be a cool feature.

Former Community Member
Hi Jennifer,

You are correct that there is no Policy Server permission for restricting the number of times a document can be printed.

However, at least one customer has controlled the number of times that a document could be printed by using the Policy Server Java SDK to revoke the document after it has been printed a certain number of times. The SDK includes an Event Handler API that can be used for this purpose.

Former Community Member
Yes it can be done.

I developed a plugin specifically to perform this function.

It allows a user to select an existing policy and restrict the number of times printing is allowed.

It is version 1 and not too pretty but it works well.

Please send me an email at troy@adobeidp.com and I will send you the plugin.

Enjoy!

Former Community Member
I have received many emails regarding this plugin that I developed some time ago.

Stable version 1 can be downloaded from my website at www.egis.co.za under the support>downloads section.

This version is free with no limitations.

If there are any other addon requirements, feel free to email me and I will do my best to supply you with a solution.

Regards

Troy

Former Community Member
Hello Troy

I tried your java class.

I have installed it but I can't get it work.

Could you explain how to create a policy with this check???

Stefano

Former Community Member
Hi Troy,

my name is Carlo and i'm working on Livecycle Policy Server. Now i'm working on a way to restrict the number of times of print for a secured file.

In my code, i process the events of "PRINT_HIGH" and "PRINT_LOW" and use a counter that tells me how many times the doc is printed. As i was looking around the adobeforum, i read that you developed a plugin that makes this same thing, so i ask you if is possible to get it, so that i can look for any improvement that surely you made :).

I tried to write to your email or going to your site, but unfortunately they don't work.. can you help me? my email is carlo.bongiovanni@gmail.com

Former Community Member
Hello

I'm also trying to limit the number of prints or at least log the number of prints. The events will log that the document has been printed but not the number of times it was printed. Is this applet still available?

Regards

Alynda

Former Community Member
www.egis.co.za doesn't appear to be working anymore. Granted it has been a year. Is there any update on how to limit the number of prints a customer can make before they are shut out?

Former Community Member
Hi,

Even I am, having the same requirement. Restrict the printing more than once.

This discussion is going on from 2005 to 2007. I am wondering, is there the solution found.