Expand my Community achievements bar.

Calculate script stops being called

Former Community Member
When trying to incorporate barcodes into a form using Designer, I always seem to reach a point where the calculate() script quits getting called and the barcode quits updating. It usually seems to happen once I put the barcode into a subform with data bound items.

I've also seen behavior in the same situation where the barcode control simply renders as a white square.

Any clues ?
6 Replies

Former Community Member
I did a litte more testing on this and it appears to be related to having an XSD-based DataConnection bound to the fields. If I delete my data connection, the barcode seems to update.

Former Community Member
Hi Rob,

Not to prolong the question, but can you let me know which version of Reader / Designer you are using?

Former Community Member
Reader 7.0.5 and Designer 7.1. I also saw the behavior using Designer 7.0.

Former Community Member
If you use automatic scripting and apply the Barcode value to the top-level subform so that the Barcode itself does not actually belong to the lower-level subforms the calculate does not get performed because the Barcode is one level too high and "thinks" that it is not associated to any data.

Try pulling your Barcode into the same Hierarchy level of the objects that you want to include in your Barcode.

Former Community Member
I have the barcode in the same subform as the objects and I can't get it to work.

Designer 7.1 and Acrobat Professional 7.0.5

Former Community Member
If you are using the XML encoding make sure each of your subform levels and content subforms are named and are not (unnamed) subforms. As always, feel free to send the form to me to check out (lsutton@adobe.com).