Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Bug in LiveCycle ES?

Former Community Member
Hi,

We are generating forms using renderPdfForm and assembleService(for flattening and assembling documents). It seems that the pdf's generated increases in size over time. However it seems to help restarting the server.

I've had pdf's of size 6mb going as low to 500kb after a Adobe server restart.

Have anybody experienced the same issue?

Kind regards

Lars
16 Replies

Former Community Member
Found this in the LiveCycle Product Blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/livecycle/2009/03/post.html

Also found this one several places in the xml source in an xdp:

can this be a problem?

In the blog item it says aped3 not aped0...

Former Community Member
Just found 1000+ lines of:

In an xdp file - this can't be good.

Level 4

Only 1,000?   We just removed 862,000 repeating lines of xml.  Our form grew to 324 meg in size.  Sigh.

Former Community Member

Yes the latest service Pack has the fix in it. You will have to open the file and save it from the patched designer to get the fix to apply to your specific docs. I have posted the style sheet but most programs that can apply style sheets cannot handle the size of these docs. So I use a local istance of java and created a batch file tha will load the file in a dom then apply the style sheet. I use a public domain dom program called saxon8.jar. I do not have the rights to distribute it so simply do a search in the web and you should find it fine. I then use this batch file to apply to style sheet to the bulked form design file. Note that it must be saved as an XDP (xml format) for this to work. Here is the batch file:

@echo off
java -Xmx1024m -jar saxon8.jar "incoming file name.xdp" PI.xsl > "outgoing file name_cleaned.xdp"

The -Xmx1024m parameter tells Java to increase its default heap size otherwise you will get out of memory errors.

Paul

Former Community Member
That is a known issue and there are fixes for it. Have a look at this blog post:

http://blogs.adobe.com/livecycle/2009/03/post.html

If you cannot or do not want to install the patch, I have a style sheet that can be run against the XDP to get rid of those additional lines.

This explains why you are having those issues. The file size is so big that you are taking all of the memory in your JVM.

Former Community Member
Hi Paul,

I would very much like that style sheet, can you please send it to: laha@ementor.dk ?

One more thing, can theese lines slow down processes like RenderPdfForm and AssembleService as well?

Thanks,

Lars

Former Community Member
Absolutely as the size of the XDP is so big that the file takes up most of the available memory. Then add to that the size of you data file!

I just sent the style sheet ....

Former Community Member

Can this bug lead to varying pdf file sizes? As I mentioned in the initial message, I've seen the same pdf file grow from about 500kb to 6MB over time. After server restart the generated pdf was back to 500 kb.

Former Community Member

Typically the size of the PDF does not grow very much (remember that it is a repeating line thousands of times). The compresion in the PDF reduces the multiple lines to a single string so the size does not get impacted very much.

Sounds like you may have a different issue. Can you post one of those large PDFs and we can see what is it it. If you do not want to post it in this public forum send it to livecycle8@gmail.com.

Paul

Level 1

I've installed the 8.2.1 SP2 update and still encounter this bug. Any ideas as to why it's still happening?

Thanks!

Former Community Member

Have you removed the lines manually or by a tool, I'm not sure the update will actually remove the already existing lines for you, but not sure about that.

/Lars

Level 1

The .xdp file I'm working on was created after I installed the update, so the extra lines were added even though the service pack had been applied.

And I was able to remove the extra lines using Notepad, but for obvious reasons, would like for this not to happen.

Former Community Member

Well, that does not sound good. We have not upgraded yet, but are considering service pack 3, maybe there is more luck with that one...

Sent from my Windows Mobile®-telephone.

Level 4

Hey Paul, we are getting hit by this "LC huge file size" issue left and right.  Will installing the fix pack resolve currently affected files?

Also, can you put the Style Sheet in this thread as an attachment?  And provide instructions on what to do?  I've not yet used style sheets with LC.

Thanks,

Elaine

Level 4

Hey Paul,  I'm trying an interim fix for our huge form file size issue...

So I am noticing 862,000 lines of repeating xml in the xml view of the designer form:

<? template Designer StyleID aped3?>

So I went in manually in the xml tab and removed all but ONE of those lines.

Is that ok?  Should we leave just one of those xml lines in there or should we delete it entirely?

Thanks,

Elaine