Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Attach PDF to google or yahoo mail on submit

Former Community Member
I have developed a form using LiveCycle Designer 8. Users fill out this form and Click on the Submit button. I have the Javascript which automatically attaches for the form to the desktop email client novell or outlook express and populates the "To" field dynamically. However the problem here is my users will not necessarily have novell or outlook. They might just have any other web based email client like hotmail, yahoo or gmail.

Is it possible to display users a list of email clients and allow them to choose one and then attach the PDF to their email client.

This is very urgent and would appreciate any quick response.
4 Replies

Former Community Member
Hotmail, yahoo and gmail or not really email clients. They are web pages that get displayed for you. Your users will have to save the form or data file and attach it themselves. If you set up a submit button with a mailto submission a dialog explaining this pops up. Give it a try.

Former Community Member
There are two possible solutions that come to mind. Unforunately they are going to depend on your business requirements, scope, and infrastructure. All the same...

1. You could create a LiveCycle service that submits the form using the EmailService. To do this, you would probably have to submit the form data to the service via a SOAP connection, merge it into a "document" process variable with an empty copy of the PDF/XDP stored on the file repository or server (it it's already stored there, great!), then use the EmailService to send an email with the "document" variable you just created as an attachment. This will prevent the user from having to even open their email client and click send.

2. The other option is to let your users know that they can probably configure their Outlook, Novell, etc. to utilize their Gmail, Hotmail, or whatever account. I have Outlook using my Gmail account and most webmail site will provide you directions to configure that. Again, not the greatest solution, but a possible one.

Ryan Lunka

Cardinal Solutions Group

rlunka@cardinalsolutions.com

Former Community Member
Hello Ryan

Your 1st solution looks great and this would be a great way to implement this.

Would it work, If I write a Servlet that receives the form data and does the same as you have explained. I am java novice and I was wondering if it has to be through SOAP only. I do not have LiveCycle ES. Do you have some kind of program that does similar to this than I can customize? appreciate your help!!

Former Community Member

Did you have any luck with this solution? I am trying the same thing and know very little about programming.