Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Sending Events Attributes as payload for Segment Audiences Activation

Level 2

When we activate a segment, we are allowed to send only the attributes belonging to the "Individual Profile Class". 
However, I have a requirement in which I need to pass an evar value (coming from Adobe Analytics connector) as part of the payload to the Kinesis stream. Since AA connector has an associated "Event Class" I cannot send these values. 

What could be the possible workaround to this considering we cannot compromise on real-time behavior?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@irohitshukla 

Schedule query to get necessary event attributes (evar) and load into profile enabled dataset. This way evar value can be used in segment activation as it is part of profile class.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Community Advisor

@irohitshukla that is correct, the whole purpose of activation via segments is to share specific attributes of profiles part of your segment (salesforce, mkt automation etc.), or  a segment with a partner by matching an identity (hashed email, GAID etc) 

In saying so, if you want event attributes, the ideal way would be to use event forwarding. i.e send a copy of xdm to third party or internal system, however in your case this may not be a viable option. 

The other option (a workaround rather) would be

1. create a custom query using query service and populate result to a new dataset
  2. use api to download data ( parquet file only) 
  3. connect a client to query service and download data ( limited rows based on client used) 
  4. sftp it to your desired vendor

have been thru this and can confirm it works, however can be time consuming and adds extra process and steps. 

**editing to add, you do not have to create another dataset to get data via a query service client. You can query the analytics dataset and profile to get the desired result

Hope that helps

Anil

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@irohitshukla 

Schedule query to get necessary event attributes (evar) and load into profile enabled dataset. This way evar value can be used in segment activation as it is part of profile class.

Community Advisor

Hey @Anuhya-Y to get this done, a field needs to be created in the profile enabled dataset to accomodate this eVar beforehand correct? 

Community Advisor

@Anil_Umachigi 

That is correct understanding . The workaround you suggested, can those steps be automated?

Community Advisor

@Anuhya-Y Thank you that makes sense, and yes some of it can be automated like...

• query service to create dataset is set and forget
  • may be a cron job to ready the dataset and download as well. 

Level 2

Yes, we considered that but it won't work for our case as we have to make it real-time. 
Scheduling a query means we have to wait which won't go well with the use case we trying to solve. 

Employee Advisor

@irohitshukla If your requirement is real time ingest, you may want to consider an HTTP API Source connector and pass the eVar directly into a Profile dataset.

Community Advisor

@Danny-Miller This is interesting, could you elaborate? Is this how the data would flow?

1. Create a field for eVarX in profile dataset
  2. use an existing HTTP API source streaming connection mapped to a profile dataset field for evarX
  3. eVar from connector lands into dataset
  4. What happens next? where and what are options to use the HTTP API source connector here? Is this like an automation to listen to batch completion and trigger the HTTP API 

Would love to understand how is it all wired up. 

Thank you 

Anil