Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Is WedSDK/MobileSDK considered as legacy?

Community Advisor

After seeing this new video that was released https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsW3J0aehzU&t=1146s which mentions moving away from web SDK and doing everything on the server-side does that mean we need not do web SDK for new implementation? Is alloy.js going away? I understand the need for setting the FPID, but is the main reason for switching server-side approach to make your applications ready for all browsers so that no requests are getting blocked?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

@ChetanyaJain @Gokul_Agiwal @adua7 

Thanks for the feedback and question. I just wanted to set the record straight - in the webinar, when I'm using the words 'that's not the way we want to move forward', it specifically refers to the context of the Tech Academy demonstration where we explicitly didn't want to use the client-side SDKs and instead only wanted to use the server-side SDKs. Apologies for any misunderstanding caused by this.

In the webinar there also wasn't any mention of 'deprecating' anything, and in the introduction of the webinar it was stated that we even have a next Tech Academy session scheduled in December to focus on client-side data collection in mobile apps using the Mobile SDK.

So to be very clear, client-side data collection with Web SDK and Mobile SDK is one way of collecting data and sending it to Adobe's Edge, and that method isn't going away. With Edge Network Server API, we have an additional way of collecting data and sending it to the Edge server-side, and the customer as such has the choice to choose the option that they prefer.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @ChetanyaJain 

I've had attended the recent tech academy session (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsW3J0aehzU&t=1146s) where Wouter from Adobe particularly talking about Server-side data collection & personalisation using Edge Network Server API whereas Web SDK is a Client side JavaScript library for data collection through Edge network. 

I don't think Web SDK  ( alloy.js) is deprecated rather there are 2 approach client side and server side. 

Community Advisor

@Gokul_Agiwal I am referencing the same video and he mentions this being legacy now. I have explicitly given the time where he mentions that. Looks like in the long run we all want to move toward the server-side and enforce FPID.

Level 2

Hi @ChetanyaJain  That's correct. Watch at this time - https://youtu.be/DsW3J0aehzU?t=1751 where he specifically calls out that going forward, we want to move towards using server-side implementation and eventually go away with Web SDK in long run. Having said that, he did not mention it being going away immediately, instead suggested taking the new approach for the new implementations. 

Correct answer by
Employee

@ChetanyaJain @Gokul_Agiwal @adua7 

Thanks for the feedback and question. I just wanted to set the record straight - in the webinar, when I'm using the words 'that's not the way we want to move forward', it specifically refers to the context of the Tech Academy demonstration where we explicitly didn't want to use the client-side SDKs and instead only wanted to use the server-side SDKs. Apologies for any misunderstanding caused by this.

In the webinar there also wasn't any mention of 'deprecating' anything, and in the introduction of the webinar it was stated that we even have a next Tech Academy session scheduled in December to focus on client-side data collection in mobile apps using the Mobile SDK.

So to be very clear, client-side data collection with Web SDK and Mobile SDK is one way of collecting data and sending it to Adobe's Edge, and that method isn't going away. With Edge Network Server API, we have an additional way of collecting data and sending it to the Edge server-side, and the customer as such has the choice to choose the option that they prefer.