Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to update Individual Profile with new data?

Community Advisor

I've pretty much wrapped my head around ExperienceEvents and how to use them to add data to Datasets.

But I'm having trouble understanding IndividualProfiles. So far, I've been able to create XDM Individual Profile schemas and (I think) I've setup Merge Policies correctly. However, I don't understand how new data can get added to these Individual Profiles.

For example: on a lead generation website, I track ExperienceEvents when the user submits a lead form. The ExperienceEvent schema contains the user's ID, SHA-256 hashed email, phone number, product information, and some other details. The ExperienceEvent schema is Profile-enabled. The SHA-256 hashed email is linked to the "Emails (SHA256, lowercased)" Identity, and the phone number is linked to the "Phone" Identity. (You can assume that all submitted leads always have this hashed email.)

I think that the user's AEP Profile will be updated with the submitted hashed email and phone number (i.e. always updated with the latest info), so that's not a problem (unless my understanding is wrong).

But if I need to append to the list of products that the user has submitted leads for (e.g. there is a "leadProducts" array in the schema), then how can I update his Profile to include the product information from his lead submissions?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Great! Right so that should be doable based on what you want to do with it and also what tools you have access to

a.) Create a Segment and Activate it: create an segment which includes lead submission event with product A & X, which will return list of profiles. You can then decide what you want to do

b.) CJA Reporting: You could run a report assuming you have lead submit event with products A and X. You could directly create audience from here ( again get a list of profile when used in segments

c.) Query Service: If really required to go this path, you could get this done via query service. 

At the end of day, it depends on what destination you want to send it, report or just download it. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Hey @yuhuisg 

Alright so if i have understood this right, you have a event schema set up with identity ( hashed email, user id ..etc) and in addition you are also sending behaviour and lead submission data as part of schema. 

You also have a Profile schema set up, What is the data source for this and primary key? for now i will assume hashed email address as primary key ( or it can be user id or email ) 

So first things first, since this is a website i'm assuming ECID is set as primary key, 

Also for argument sake, let's assume you have uploaded profile information from CRM (using profile schema enabled for profile) of customers with hashed email key, thus creating profiles. 

At this point, the Profile is created and includes "information ( key value pairs) from profile data set, example age, gender, location, dob. 

Back to the website, on lead submission the secondary identity key (hashed email) is used to associate "events information" from experience events data set. 

Now you have a profile with "attributes information from profile dataset/schema" and "events information from web events dataset" merged for that user. 

If there is "no corresponding/matching" primary or secondary identity a new profile is created with ECID as key, if on day 12 the same user creates an account becomes part of CRM record and day 13 that record flows as part of daily sync you now have a profile merged with "profile and events" and a they are a unified record now 

ok that turned out to be lot of words! Hope that makes sense 

Community Advisor

Thanks, @Anil_Umachigi . Your assumptions were all valid.

My follow-up would be: based on the merged profile, how will I know which users have submitted leads for, say, Products A and X only? Assuming that I am tracking the products in "productListItems" in the ExperienceEvent schema.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Great! Right so that should be doable based on what you want to do with it and also what tools you have access to

a.) Create a Segment and Activate it: create an segment which includes lead submission event with product A & X, which will return list of profiles. You can then decide what you want to do

b.) CJA Reporting: You could run a report assuming you have lead submit event with products A and X. You could directly create audience from here ( again get a list of profile when used in segments

c.) Query Service: If really required to go this path, you could get this done via query service. 

At the end of day, it depends on what destination you want to send it, report or just download it.