Expand my Community achievements bar.

Edge data filtering

Level 7

Hi there,

Is it possible to filter data going into the edge server/datastream before going into AEP? I've heard from our account rep that this was a feature released a few months ago. 

Thanks.

10 Replies

Community Advisor

@akwankl No native feature currently, a workaround is you have two different datastream connected to desired dataset, dynamically switch datastreams within launch for now. 

Anil

Level 4

When you say filter you mean, limiting the data going over to AEP ?  if yes then during data prep , mapping and calculated field can address that

Level 7

Hi @Rite18

Can you elaborate a bit more on what you are saying? For example, in our xdm data, we have something like web.webInteraction.type = 'C', and we want to filter out all traffic related to that particular data point. 

Is that possible?

Thanks!

Level 4

may be i am not clear on the question but if you dont want web.webInteraction.type = 'C', then why to map to XDM/ send to AEP

Level 7

no problem, because web.webInteraction.type also contains other values we need, for example, out of 100000 events per day, 10K has webInteraction.type = C, the rest are A,B,D,E,F which goes into the same xdm. 

I am checking if there's a way to filter out that 10K events specifically related to a specific data value. Cause as far as I know, we can't filter out events like that.

Thanks.

Level 4

may be 

webInteraction.type = C, the rest are A,B,D,E,F t

hen check if any of the function can support this use case else try to have middle layer [remove c and clean up data stream before goes to AEP] or update on the source system not to send over  webInteraction.type = C

Data Prep Mapping Functions | Adobe Experience Platform 

Level 7

I don't think Data Prep functions filter out any data from and into the datastream, it may clean/update the values, but doesn't exclude/filter out the rows of records i am looking to not come in.

Level 4

yes i agree with that, that being said better option  would to address at the data source and avoid filtering at Edge layer - This approach would give better control and avoid unnecessary code/logic at Edge layer

Level 7

Yeah can't do that at source. However, my account rep has shared that there is this capability released recently? Just wondering if the community has heard about it.

Thanks!

Level 4

Did you check Edge Network Server API, that can provide workaround solution, not aware of any UI Interface option that helps in filtering data - May be Rep knows where is that UI interface option