Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Data lifecycle requests. what happend to the profile ?

Level 3

hi 

i need to remove some of my profiles from the AEP

i can see that i can schedule https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/platform-learn/tutorials/data-hygiene/delete-datasets.html?l...

1. is this removing the profile from the profile service or from the data lake or both ?
  2. what happens if the profile is in the middle of the journey ?
  3. what happens with all the data related  to this profiles , like "event-step"  dataset ? is all the logs related to the profile are gone  ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi @nirshani 

If there are 50k profiles then API wouldn't help or would not be an ideal way. You can think about deleting the batch instead or deleting the entire dataset if that is a possibility but a dataset can have more than 50k profiles and probably you don't want all the data to be deleted.

As you delete a profile and at this very moment, whatever data has been collected will get deleted which means previous journeys part of the profile are no longer valid. When new data goes in AEP for the same user, it will create a new profile.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 2

Hi @nirshani

You can delete an entity using /ups/access/entities API
https://platform.adobe.io/data/core/ups/access/entities?schema.name=_xdm.context.profile&entityId=$$...

Detailed documentation here:

https://developer.adobe.com/experience-platform-apis/references/profile/#tag/Entities/operation/dele...

1. is this removing the profile from the profile service or from the data lake or both ? Both
  2. what happens if the profile is in the middle of the journey ? It will get added again once a new identity gets into AEP but with future data. 
  3. what happens with all the data related  to this profiles , like "event-step"  dataset ? is all the logs related to the profile are gone? Yes

Thanks,
Ankur

Level 3

thanks

i need to remove 50k profiles to API is not a good option  

for my second question let me sharpen it  - what happens if i'm deleting a profile while he is in the middle of journey ? does he finish the journey then delete or it thrown out of the journey in the exact moment ?

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi @nirshani 

If there are 50k profiles then API wouldn't help or would not be an ideal way. You can think about deleting the batch instead or deleting the entire dataset if that is a possibility but a dataset can have more than 50k profiles and probably you don't want all the data to be deleted.

As you delete a profile and at this very moment, whatever data has been collected will get deleted which means previous journeys part of the profile are no longer valid. When new data goes in AEP for the same user, it will create a new profile.

Employee Advisor

Keep in mind, too, that deleting a dataset will only delete the part of the profile that is in the dataset you are deleting. It won't delete the profile fragments that are in other datasets.

Level 3

thanks a lot , so in order to remove profiles i need to remove all the datasets that this profiles are in them