Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

AEP Datastream Distribution Logic

Level 2

Hi Everyone

We have a state-of-the-art data collection setup using the AEP Web SDK that redirects all events toward an AEP Datastream which distributes all captured events to AEP, Adobe Analytics, and other destinations.

Recently a client enquired if it would be possible to dynamically filter different events and distribute them accordingly. E.g., certain events should be only sent to Adobe Analytics while others should be sent to all activated destinations within the datastream.

Is there some feature (e.g., within the data prep) that could be utilized for this purpose? Thank you in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@digitalNick I believe this feature is in works (or not), right now it's pretty much everything or nothing to each datastream destination. 

Data prep may not be a valid option since it is at global transformation and the result is sent across to all configured datastream destination. 

The other option ( or hack!) is 

1. add a flag in your xdm event denoting the destination
  2. disable sending data via datastream
  3. use event forwarding and create rules based on flag, filter the data you need
  4. send it to AEP using the API 

Have clearly not tried it :), if you do let me know if it works 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @digitalNick 

As far as I know, we do not have a way to filter (at datastream level) if we need to send it to Adobe solutions. For event forwarding, you should still be able to control it with rules/data elements at the data stream level. Alternatively, you can create multiple data streams to separate them.

Also, you can add your ideas here - https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-experience-platform-ideas/idb-p/adobe-experie... so that in the future this can be a feature.

Regards,

Chetanya

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@digitalNick I believe this feature is in works (or not), right now it's pretty much everything or nothing to each datastream destination. 

Data prep may not be a valid option since it is at global transformation and the result is sent across to all configured datastream destination. 

The other option ( or hack!) is 

1. add a flag in your xdm event denoting the destination
  2. disable sending data via datastream
  3. use event forwarding and create rules based on flag, filter the data you need
  4. send it to AEP using the API 

Have clearly not tried it :), if you do let me know if it works 

Level 2

Indeed, that's also the only way I could think of adding some sort of branching logic into the data distribution. I would even be sure it could work for 90% of the cases but obviously would require quite some extensive workaround. Especially, since we then have to call all different kinds of APIs for AEP, and Adobe Analytics programmatically instead of relying on the UI-based native integrations.

Anyway, thanks for confirming that there is currently no other way!