Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Using two launch properties on same domain

Level 3

Hi,

I'm trying to understand if we can implement 2 different launch properties on the same domain. We need to rebuild our analytics so the old launch property will have old tags (w/o Web SDK)  and new property will have the new tags for Web SDK. But we need these both to coexist for a certain time period for data validation & comparison.

As per https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-analytics-questions/should-we-use-adobe-launc...,it seems that is not possible. 

Also we're using the self-hosting download option for the launch library.

Is there another way to action this where we can have the old launch property sending data to a different report suite and new property sending data to new report suite at the same time?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You generally cannot --  and should not -- run 2 Launch Tags properties in the same website. The main reason is that your property gets exposed in the "_satellite" object. Besides having such functions as "_satellite.getVar()", the _satellite object also encapsulates all of the code that makes your property's Rules and Data Elements and Extensions run properly.

So, if you have 2 Tags properties, the user's browser loads both, and depending on the execution order, the later-loading property's _satellite object will overwrite the earlier-loading property's _satellite object. That can result in a lot of tracking issues.

Since you're using 2 different tracking methodologies (AA's AppMeasurement and Web SDK), you can run both of them in the same Tags property. As a bonus, you should be able to re-use several of your Data Elements and Rules with both methodologies without changing (much) logic, so that the final tracked data is still correct, regardless of the methodology used.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You generally cannot --  and should not -- run 2 Launch Tags properties in the same website. The main reason is that your property gets exposed in the "_satellite" object. Besides having such functions as "_satellite.getVar()", the _satellite object also encapsulates all of the code that makes your property's Rules and Data Elements and Extensions run properly.

So, if you have 2 Tags properties, the user's browser loads both, and depending on the execution order, the later-loading property's _satellite object will overwrite the earlier-loading property's _satellite object. That can result in a lot of tracking issues.

Since you're using 2 different tracking methodologies (AA's AppMeasurement and Web SDK), you can run both of them in the same Tags property. As a bonus, you should be able to re-use several of your Data Elements and Rules with both methodologies without changing (much) logic, so that the final tracked data is still correct, regardless of the methodology used.

Level 3

Thanks @yuhuisg 

However we have been thinking of disabling AppMeasurement and to keep only Web SDK in the future for faster performance, as I believe AppMeasurement needs separate libraries i.e for AT, AAM etc.

Is it possible to run just Web SDK extension on the launch property without AppMeasurement? We're fine with creating new data elements & rules for Web SDK as we're rebuilding the site too.

Community Advisor

@hs_vk wrote:

However we have been thinking of disabling AppMeasurement and to keep only Web SDK in the future for faster performance, as I believe AppMeasurement needs separate libraries i.e for AT, AAM etc.

More correctly, AppMeasurement is the library for collecting data for Adobe Analytics. Adobe Target has its own library (at.js) and Adobe Audience Manager has its own library (I forgot what it's called).

Web SDK is a new library that allows data to be sent to all of Adobe's marketing products, including Analytics, Target and Audience Manager, without needing separate libraries.

@hs_vk wrote:

Is it possible to run just Web SDK extension on the launch property without AppMeasurement? We're fine with creating new data elements & rules for Web SDK as we're rebuilding the site too.

Certainly! Since Web SDK is its own library and has zero dependencies on any of the other Adobe libraries (AppMeasurement, at.js, AAM's library...).

Employee Advisor

Can you clarify if mean loading two different tags/launch properties _on the same page_ or on _different pages_? Definitely don't load two properties on the same page, but it is technically fine to load different tags/launch properties on different pages of the same domain. The _satellite object should be recreated on every page load.

As per @yuhuisg 's suggestion though, you might find it easier to manage the migration using a single property.

Level 3

Sure, I meant loading 2 different tags properties in the same page. I understand that this is not possible.

Is there any alternatives for this? My aim is to send data to different report suites at the same time so we can validate the new data coming in through Web SDK with the old data.

The reason we needed a new launch property is because adding to the existing one will result in a huge number of rules & data elements co-existing.

Employee Advisor

Thanks for clarifying. You should follow @yuhuisg 's suggestion and implement Web SDK in your existing property with AppMeasurement.

In general, you should be able to _reuse_ the same rules and data elements that you have for your AppMeasurement implementation. Use Set variable and Update variable to manage your XDM fields instead of the older, XDM object data element approach and it should be much more intuitive to implement and migrate. In your rules, use the Update variable action in the Web SDK extension much like you probably used Set Variables in the Analytics extension. You can likely even do this in the same rules you have built up for your AppMeasurement implementation.

I hope this helps! Good luck!