Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Is there a timeline for ES6 support?

Level 2

ES6 has been out for some 5 years. The only post I could find this was 2 years old and referenced the need to support IE. Does that continue to be a factor?

previous conversation: link

@jantzen_b 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Unfortunately, yes. Launch continues to support IE in the browser runtime (given the market share that IE still has), and ES6 remains unsupported in IE.

From a Launch perspective, we have an item on our roadmap to enhance our build compiler to be able to transpile from ES6 to ES5 for you, such that you could write ES6 in the code editor in the UI and at build time we would translate that into ES5.  That is somewhat controversial, because we'd then be in the position of putting code on your page that you haven't seen (you saw the ES6 version, but not the ES5 version), but enough people have asked us to support ES6 that this seems the best path forward.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Unfortunately, yes. Launch continues to support IE in the browser runtime (given the market share that IE still has), and ES6 remains unsupported in IE.

From a Launch perspective, we have an item on our roadmap to enhance our build compiler to be able to transpile from ES6 to ES5 for you, such that you could write ES6 in the code editor in the UI and at build time we would translate that into ES5.  That is somewhat controversial, because we'd then be in the position of putting code on your page that you haven't seen (you saw the ES6 version, but not the ES5 version), but enough people have asked us to support ES6 that this seems the best path forward.

Level 1
If I may ask, When can we expect this planned support for ES6 to rollout?

Level 1

Not even Microsoft supports IE for their products now-a-days. It's not a real browser anymore, it's a compatibility solution. We need to stop treating it like it matters, because it doesn't. 

References:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-365-blog/microsoft-365-apps-say-farewell-to-interne...
* https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/the-perils-of-using-internet-explorer-as-...