Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Adobe Client DataLayer passing %data element name% your to e-card instead of DataLayer value

Level 2

Hi everyone!

I’m not a dev, so not in charge of the datalayer implementation but i’m debugging it.

while creating my data elements, following all the instructions in tutorials and referencing to the computed state, I see my evars and events getting sent to AA correctly, however, my evars are populated with the %data element name% when set through the launch rule with even = my event.

What could possibly be the reason?

if I inspect the source of the page I see the code of my event push, however it’s value has the name of the %data element% which I used to set the evar, while, if I call the adobeDataLayer in console I see the correct variable.

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@Umberto There could be few reasons ( to begin with) for this to happen. 

1. The data required for data element was not ready ( i.e the datalayer push has not happened yet) when analytics tags are fired
  2. The data element has incorrect code or configuration which prevents the data element to be set. 

To debug you could try to log the data element or check if there is data by going to console and checking if value is set like so

_satellite.getVar('yourDataElementNameHere')

However the key is to check if this value is available before the analytics tracking happens before being tracked, you could do this by logging it ( in the rule which triggers analytics) to console like so 

console.info('debug-yourDataElementValue', _satellite.getVar('yourDataElementNameHere'))

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@Umberto There could be few reasons ( to begin with) for this to happen. 

1. The data required for data element was not ready ( i.e the datalayer push has not happened yet) when analytics tags are fired
  2. The data element has incorrect code or configuration which prevents the data element to be set. 

To debug you could try to log the data element or check if there is data by going to console and checking if value is set like so

_satellite.getVar('yourDataElementNameHere')

However the key is to check if this value is available before the analytics tracking happens before being tracked, you could do this by logging it ( in the rule which triggers analytics) to console like so 

console.info('debug-yourDataElementValue', _satellite.getVar('yourDataElementNameHere'))

Hope that helps

Level 2

Hi @Anil_Umachigi,

thanks for your answer

i'll try to check if the problem is related to timing and come back to you with a question solved in case. 

Nevertheless, i see the event pushed before the AA tracking. 
In particular, i see the correct adobeDataLayer values in the computed state, however, in the AA collect they get passed as %my data element name% in v10 (my evar).
In Workspace i see the correct number of events and occurrences for the evars, it's just about the value passed.

Specifically, by sending the input adobeDataLayer.getState('my data element path') i retrieve the correct value and, correct me if i'm wrong, by setting this path in the ACDL data element, i can be quite sure the setup is correct. 

Thus, besides timing which i'll be able to test on monday, what could other options be?
Could it involve how developers sent the data? Or could it be related to the ACDL extension itself?
for data elements that were previously created i don't see this behavior. 
Thanks in advance for the brainstorming!

Community Advisor

@Umberto as long as the dev's push the data into the array, the data should update the state, if this is visible i think they have done their job. 

Everything from here is timing or typo in data element. 

Good luck! 

Level 2

@Anil_Umachigi 
Issue solved, it was actually about timing, so thanks a lot! 
It's so helpful to be helped as a newcomer by such a community!

Community Advisor

Glad it worked out! 

Feel free to reach out here, the community is around to help!!