Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Which AEM Headless Tutorials do you recommend?

Level 3

There are many different AEM Headless Tutorials available on the following overview page: 

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-learn/getting-started-with-aem-headless/o...

They cover many various use cases and frameworks: pure headless, remote editor, AEM SPA Editor, GraphQL, Content Services. - I would like to learn about the differences, advantages and disadvantages of all these possible options at a general level, in order to have an overview of them. I would also like to learn about the selected best and most popular options at a deeper level, but don't know which of them are the best. I would especially like to learn more about content fragments and experience fragments while doing these tutorials. 

I have a limited amount of time which I can invest in doing these tutorials. - I can do 2 or 3 of these tutorials in the current year. 

We use Vue.js as the frontend framework at our project (together with AEM 6.5 on-premise), but there is no tutorial for Vue.js, therefore I can do tutorials which use other frontend frameworks (e.g. React, Angular). 

Which 2-3 tutorials do you recommend? 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi

Yes that’s true, the 2 ways to request Content Fragments are Assets API and GraphQL.

I’m afraid there is no tutorial that compares the two solutions… But with the AEM Headless Developer Journey you are mentioning you’ll work with both solutions so I think at the end of the journey you can see the pro’s and con’s from both solutions. 

Just for your information, it will also depend on the use case, not because you choose to use GraphQL, you can’t use Assets API. In one of my projects we use both solutions.

The tutorials you mentioned are indeed a good starting point in my opinion.

Good luck with it!

Greetings

Rik

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 2

Hi software_engineer

I would suggest to first learn how to create Content Fragment Models & Content Fragments itself.
For that one you can use the Tutorial provided by Adobe. [HERE]

For requesting Content Fragments in 3th party applications you need to use GraphQL. Here you can see already some examples from GraphQL Queries.
I don't have experience with Vue.js itself, but after some searching I found the Apollo framework to create GraphQL queries. A tutorial can be found HERE.

I hope I could help you with that!

Greetings

Rik

Level 3

Hi Rik

Thank you for your answer.

You wrote among others:

"For requesting Content Fragments in 3th party applications you need to use GraphQL."

Do I really need to use GraphQL to request the Content Fragments? I would like to learn if I have other options and what their advantages/disadvantages are in order to be able to decide which solution will be best for which case. 

I saw that the "AEM Assets APIs" can also be used to access and update the Content Fragments: 

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-65/headless-journey/developer/update-your...

By the way, since I asked my original question, I found out that the "AEM Headless Developer Journey" will be probably a good starting point for me to get an overview of some available headless features. What do you think about it? 

Afterwards, I would like to do the following two tutorials, among others because they are compatible with AEM 6.5: 

"Getting Started with the AEM SPA Editor and Angular"

"Getting Started with AEM Headless - Content Services"

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi

Yes that’s true, the 2 ways to request Content Fragments are Assets API and GraphQL.

I’m afraid there is no tutorial that compares the two solutions… But with the AEM Headless Developer Journey you are mentioning you’ll work with both solutions so I think at the end of the journey you can see the pro’s and con’s from both solutions. 

Just for your information, it will also depend on the use case, not because you choose to use GraphQL, you can’t use Assets API. In one of my projects we use both solutions.

The tutorials you mentioned are indeed a good starting point in my opinion.

Good luck with it!

Greetings

Rik